NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

help with choice skywatcher

Hi all. Just getting into this i was considering buying a skywatcher1145p for £130 brand new but a friend of friend has offered me a orion optics 6inch europa for £100.. Second hand obviously but i know they retail for much more. It is in as new condition. Any advice would be greatly recieved. Thank you

if it's the one on ebay, that seems like a fair price. it's quite an old scope though. the focuser will be likely a cheapish rack and pinion but should work OK. personally though (as much as I like OOUK scopes - I have three currently) I'd buy a scope on a dobsonian mount for the same sort of money. 

+1 for the 6"... Even if the mount has issues you can still build a simple dobsonian rockerbox mount! :-)

Even if the optics have a few scratches or such it will show much more.

If somehow that does not work out, consider getting a 130/650 instead of the 1145P.

The Heritage 130p for example, even though it's a dobsonian. At least it's stable- The eq1 mount of the 1145p is far from ideal, even with those short tube reflectors.

You can allways get a cheap used Astro3 eq mount later or save for a decent one.

Well i bought it, (it was the one on ebay but i didnt want to get gazzumped :grin: ) its exactly as described, and the guy showed me how to dismantle and assemble the mount, but i couldnt remember when i got it home, but i sussed it in the end. pretty straightforward after you have played with it for a while. Its raining though so will have to wait for, first light...is that what you call it?

seem to remember the skyscan is same as EQ3-2, should be a good buy in good condition i started out with this same outfit

How strange, while sorting some stuff for the move, i found the original invoice for my Europa, it was an 8" not a 6"

Archived