Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

16",18" or 20" dob?

With a big dob there is simply nothing that will come close for visual use under a dark sky.

Never a truer word spoken. For me using a big Dob under a pristine dark sky is what this hobby is all about. Nothing else even comes close to the experience of driving a big scope through the cosmos. :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never a truer word spoken. For me using a big Dob under a pristine dark sky is what this hobby is all about. Nothing else even comes close to the experience of driving a big scope through the cosmos. :)

Sounds like all that's required in my kit now is a big dob and a pristine dark sky! Does Flo have any in stock, you reckon? :)

bizarrely I have never looked through it either other than to check focus. understandably Calv whipped it away from me rather quickly.  :grin:

won't you need it around the first week of april for it's first service ;) ?

Yes lets hope for some good forcasts between Xmas and New year.

I went from 12" to 14". This is a noticable yet subtle improvement in brightness and surface detail.  The significant difference was when I stepped up from 8" to 12", so I was not really expecting or wanting a new visual perspective, more so just a subtle improvement. The scope is hilux coated, so this to some extent additionally enhances the brightness of the view slightly. 14" still provides a good field of view, facilitates  seated observing and at F4.5 does not necessarily warrant the need for a coma corrector. Personally, I was not so sure about going for a solid tube  - that is required to be portable, yet the model I use, is quite managable and whilst it bulks out the car, it is nice to be able to just  plonk it onto the mount when I have arrived on site and vise versa when packing up. Of course an increase in aperture is understandable, yet being able to get the scope to dark skies is everything. 

Archived