Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Barnard 33 the Horsehead nebula in HaRGB

broca

Here is the latest from Southeast U.S. (where it dipped into the 50's one night  )! This was imaged over several nights in November and December using the AT8RC and QSI 683 wsg-8.

RGB data: 50 minute Red, Green and Blue (binned 2x2)

Ha: 5 hours (binned 1x1) using the 8 inch RCT.

Processed in Photoshop CS5

Imaging telescope: Astro-Tech 8" Ritchey-Chrétien (FL 1625mm).

Imaging camera: QSI 683 wsg-8

Losmandy G-11 with Gemini II

Astrodon Tru-balance E-Series Generation II LRGB filters

Astrodon 5nm Ha filter

Please click the image for a higher resolution image. Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

p882571647-3.jpg

That's lovely. I like the colouring, but it's all down to personal taste. The whole point of this region is the massive superexcited bank of hydrogen that glows very brightly, and in amongst all that the dark nebula of the horsehead stands out. I think you have caught the ambience and the character of the target very well, along with some nice finer detail along the edge of the Horsey.

Keep 'em coming :)

Tim

Thanks A.G, Steve , cloudbuster and Tim.  The color is a matter of taste but I certainly value the criticism!  After looking at an image all day it helps to have another set of eyes bring something to my attention.  

"I think Mr Gendler might have something to say about that ...   :smiley:"

What is his take on color in nebula?  I processed this using RGB and Ha data and using the hybrid HaR data as described on the Starizona webpage.  

Thanks A.G, Steve , cloudbuster and Tim.  The color is a matter of taste but I certainly value the criticism!  After looking at an image all day it helps to have another set of eyes bring something to my attention.  

"I think Mr Gendler might have something to say about that ...   :smiley:"

What is his take on color in nebula?  I processed this using RGB and Ha data and using the hybrid HaR data as described on the Starizona webpage.  

It was never meant as critisim, I would have been proud of this capture, I  just like the colours a little more reddish or warmer, Others may like them cooler or pinker, just a subjective comment.

Regards,

A.G

Hi Steve , 

Here's Robert's rendition ... http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/HH-HST-ESO-S.html

The image in the link has nothing to do with an Ha-enhanced LRGB image, though. It uses IR data, for starters.

When imaging in HaRGB Gendler suggests adding the Ha to red in Blend Mode Lighten in order to benefit from the structure and resolution of the Ha while not affecting star colour or the general colour balance. His equivalent image looks like this; http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/HHNM.html

I think the OP's image has stunning resolution and feisty contrasts. In this case I find the pink a nice vehicle for showing off the dusty Horse but, in general, I do prefer Ha combined along Gendler's lines as described above. I'd certainly like to see a version done that way. Other methods, and notably using it as luminance, tend to produce a sea of pale pink dotted with blue star haloes. Seven or eight years ago we saw lots of images like this but now folks have, I think, found other ways of doing it. The one Yves and I did was even less pink, maybe excessively so.

Olly

Thank you all for the input and thank you, Olly, for the Gendler link (I forgot that I had it tucked away in my bookmarks).  I do appreciate how people like to see HaRGB done, be it too pink, red, bright, dull, too much contrast or too little contrast etc.  Without the critique from the good people of this forum I, and I'm sure I speak for many, would not be able to carry our processing to the best of our ability.  We all work hard to collect these impossibly distant photons so lets make the best of using them :wink:

Thanks again!

Archived