Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron marketing scheme..in pictures...

emadmoussa

In the 70's and 80's marketing men thought that if you put a smiling woman next to anything it would sell. ooohhh...errrrr....how big is your scope ?

I remember going to the Motor Show in London when I was a child and there were women in bikinis draped over all the cars.....hilarious.

In the 70's and 80's marketing men thought that if you put a smiling woman next to anything it would sell. ooohhh...errrrr....how big is your scope ?

I remember going to the Motor Show in London when I was a child and there were women in bikinis draped over all the cars.....hilarious.

Totally. I remember buying a fridge few years back and there was a half naked woman's picture to advertise it. Nobody told me how many shelves that woman had though :D

In the 70's and 80's marketing men thought that if you put a smiling woman next to anything it would sell

They still do. It was not many years ago that Myleene Klass appeared in some advertisements for telescopes.

I remember seeing an orange tube Celestron on a film called Silent running. I recorded it months ago, funny thing is it was polar aligned on a star ship that is close to Saturn! (Or if it wasn't polar aligned, it looks it to me) You can just make it out above Bruce's head..

post-31136-0-18872100-1386599219.jpg

Prices are interesting. On that 1973 ad a celestron 8" SCT is listed at $900. Adjusted for inflation that would be about $9000 now! and it hasn't even got goto!!

I have some adverts from the early 1960s for binoculars, somewhere. One of them IIRC is for a pair of 8x30s and has a price of  30+ Guineas ( 1 Guinea being £1.05) At the time, the weekly pay of a secretary in London was about £14

Archived