Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Elan Valley Dark Sky Bid Gathers Apace...

Beulah

were i go its roughly in between  treagaron and rhyder and down a bit, the first time i went there it was that dark i could not see my mate for the first 2 hours which is a good thing because hes blumming ugly,the only reason i could see him later was because the moon came up around first 1/4. brilliant place

Regarding the Sky Quality readings,

Back in Early March of this year, while Sorcha was away involved with a Water aid event in India, we offered to collect SQL readings for her to help get the ball rolling on the Dark Sky bid application.

We metered 6 sites across the Elan Valley, with the Zenith readings varying from 21.44 to 21.73.  These equate to a NE limiting mag of 6.35 to 6.49.

Don't know if these are the readings she's submitted to International Dark Skies or if she's taken further, and possibly better readings later on.

Either way, you've got a guide to the clarity of the Elan Skies.

Les

I not sure if Builth wells comes under that area ? But I went camping there last year and it was easy to see the Milky Way. Unfortunately it was cloudy for 80% of the trip, but a lovely area.

Been talking with Sorcha today over at the Elan Visitor Center. To give you a "from the horses mouth" so to speak, the actual application should be going off at the end of this December as there are a few minor items to "tidy up".

Interesting to note Crashtestdummy's comment on the comparison with Galloway's readings.  Bodes well for Elan's application I hope.

Fingers crossed,

Les

I'm pleased to see things are moving forwards here - certainly would be a boost for tourism in the area.

May be somewhere for a trio further affiepd for me if its a similar distance to Galloway from me.any idea of sqm readings and where exactly is it?

I live about 20 miles due North of Elan Valley. The best SQM reading from my site so far is 21.85, it's possible under ideal conditions you might reach 22 in the area?

I would agree with comments about the area being easily darker than Brecon. From my site I have even managed to capture a band of green airglow looking southwards towards Elan.

SummerMilkyWayDylife1.jpg  

21-22 on average with most being closer to 22 and the raiders road site I went to was a spooky 22.73 and the darkest ive ever seen.m13 was naked eye and I got m101 through 15x70 bins!!lots of dew though.

An SQM reading of 22.73 is the meter telling you the batteries are depleted and need changing! Mine showed 22.72 once which scared the hell out of me because I was in my back garden!! :grin: 

Archived