Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Veil through a 70mm ED

alan potts

Firstly let me say I am not trying to claim a world record here or anything like that. I set up my newly repaired 70mm ED, this is a reasonably cheap scope costing a good deal less than 200 quid and I will be the first to admit, never really took it seriously, until now.

I set up with my 21mm Ethos and OIII filter which had I have bought it new would have cost about the same as the telescope, the eyepiece though a good wallet full more.

The night was superb with the milkyway standing out better than even I see it most of the time, I will not say it is the best I have seen here but it was not far from that. This arrangement in the scope gives a massive field of view and I was hoping to get all the parts of NGC 6995 and 6960 in the same field, I never understood before this was possible, but first of all we had to be able to see it in the first place.

I was truely stunned by the fact that when the goto stopped there it was, all of it, both sides. I would not go so far as to say it was jumping out and saying "look at me", but there it was, time looking at it was helping unlock some of the detail and considering the size of the scope it was the real prize for the night observing. It only goes to show once again what you can see with with modest equipment from a dark site. Sadly there was no hint of Pickerings wisp but just to see it at all was enough. This is becoming a bit of place to call off at now every night for a quick 10 minutes, I can't help but wonder what the minimum scope size is for this object, I was thinking along the lines of 4 inches but I have clearly gone well below that. I will have to stop there as although I have a 60mm finder that is reasonable quality I cannot fit 2 inch filters in the line anywhere and I don't think I am going to buy a smaller filter just to find out. 

Alan

Nice one Alan.

It's definitely a good one in a 4", with Pickering's triangle visible from a dark site.

I have managed the Eastern Veil in 15x50is binos with filters fitted which I was quite chuffed with.

Stu

Very nice report. My best views have been with the 80mm APM + UHC +31T5. These little APO scopes give stunning views of these wide-field objects, don't they. I did once manage Pickering's Wisp with the 80mm

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/112906-august-5-from-orpierre-france-unveiling-the-veil/

The 22T4mm was better in that case, but the 31T5 frames the complex better

Hi Alan, nice report.  I've also been amazed at what my 70mm Pronto will do at a dark site - back in September I was at Kelling Heath (popular north Norfolk venue) and tried the scope on some of the popular targets.   The Eastern Veil was no prob (UHC filter) but I struggled a bit with the dimmer Western section next to 52 Cyg, and no sign of Pickerings. But I was dead chuffed.

On return, I found several reports of seeing the eastern Veil in 10x50 bins from an excellent site, one by the sadly departed Neil Bone.

So the best idea is to get out of town !

Regards, Ed.

Nice report Alan  :smiley:

The smallest instrument that I've managed to see the Veil with were 15x70 binoculars. I was able to detect the Eastern portion of the nebula on a lovely night last summer, without any filters being used. I was quite chuffed about that. 

Years ago, on a similar night, I could see both sides of the Veil with a little ST80 refractor and a Baader UHC-S filter. 

I'm gonna have a go naked eye when I get to a dark enough site. I'm wondering if it can be done with the filter alone plus a sighting tube. May have to wait until next year now though. I've read it can be done. Not sure if its possible from British skies though. Only one way to find out.

Nice report Alan  :smiley:

The smallest instrument that I've managed to see the Veil with were 15x70 binoculars. I was able to detect the Easter portion of the nebula on a lovely night last summer, without any filters being used. I was quite chuffed about that. 

Years ago, on a similar night, I could see both sides of the Veil with a little ST80 refractor and a Baader UHC-S filter. 

Yes, Eastern Veil fairly easy with my 15x70s by sweeping; putting my UHC over one eyepiece and capping the other objective gives a reasonable view of both sides.

Chris

Yes, Eastern Veil fairly easy with my 15x70s by sweeping; putting my UHC over one eyepiece and capping the other objective gives a reasonable view of both sides.

Chris

You must have better skies than me Chris - I only managed it on one special night with the 15x70's and it wasn't easy by any means. 

You must have better skies than me Chris - I only managed it on one special night with the 15x70's and it wasn't easy by any means. 

E, S and W pretty good, N poor due to village/roundabout.

I've found it easier from the Downs a mile from my house, just that little bit darker. 

Chris

I did not think I had done something special but it will be interesting to see how Steve gets on with his naked eye attempt next year. I still have the Veil well up in the sky at the start of the evening but now I have the Moon coming to rain on my parade. 

I managed the Pickerings and the piece I thing is called the witchs broom last night but with the 115mm, I also was starting to see some detail in the Eastern side, the West is more difficult but it seemed to come to life for a few minutes at one point then was back to normal, that's seeing I guess. I also was able to get onto it long before it was fully dark though I not sure there is anything to be gained by doing so. The broom and wisp  parts were not easy but I could make out something without a doubt, to some extent the longer I looked the better it got but all the time it was getting lower and I was getting colder . I think after the Moon this time around it may be time to call it a day this year, we will see.

Alan

Excellent result!   Well done Alan.  This kind of report reinforces my interest in having an APO frac as the next toy.  It's good for wide views, frac for planets, and for potential imaging.  Added bonus is its a lightweight instrument that can go more easily on holiday.................Tenerife is spring to mind!  :)

Archived