Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what a dilemma i have 18MM ES VS 16MM T2 NAG!!!

Daniel-K

Dilemma is an understatement !!! i have  just manged to finally test the 16MM T2 Nag against the 18MM ES and it goes a little something like this should i keep BOTH :D i can keep both not at such close FL.

The 16MM T2 Nag has the hybrid barrel to use in 1.25 or 2" focuser getting focus with the 1.25" barrel not a problem but with the 2" fitting i found i had to slide the EP out slightly to gain focus. this does bother me a little as i dont like fiddling in the dark. the rubber eyecup is a little too soft you only have hit it with your eyelash for it to flick back down, highly annoying as the 18MM ES is soft but it holds it position.  time to focus the star i was on was capella  the T2 is sooooo sharp i reckon to the last  12% of the edge  maybe a bit less were as the ES is above 15% but there is a but the FOV on ES is way bigger these FL are really close so i was expecting the FOV to be around the same but FOV on the T2 is smaller quite noticeably too. over to M38 in Auriga.  first thing i picked up was the very faint cluster by M38 NGC 1907 and NGC 1893 the cluster inside IC410. NGC 1907 was not visible last week when i was looking through the 18mm ES, m38 was beautifully resolved each star separated with a pinch of dark sky in between . the eye relief is slightly better on the T2 the the ES. i found the ES to give a slightly brighter image than the T2 which surprised me. its a tough one to call and i cant keep both because i want a nice low power EP but i like them both :icon_scratch:  as i said on a previous thread the ES in a F5 8" Dob would be a super EP if anyone is looking to get into 2" good quality EP's that are close to Nagler Levels i would recommend the ES82's these are a step up from the panaviews do which i have used in most of my scopes and they are just too soft at the edge for me. i need to sleep on this :D

Dan

A pause for breath and a little punctuation would make this a much nicer read Dan ... :rolleyes:  ...  and you know you'll keep them both , just in case ....  :p

see just the thought of selling either one makes me go crazy :BangHead:  lol

If possible I'd keep both eyepieces and use them often. Sometimes it takes time to work out which you really prefer using and it's not always the one you first thought it might be !

Small issues now could either fade away as you get used to using the eyepiece or could prove a continual or even a growing annoyance - it's not always easy to tell after a relatively short time.

After a while you may notice that there is one of the eyepieces that tends to be the first you reach for and thats probably the one to keep  :smiley:

see just the thought of selling either one makes me go crazy :BangHead:  lol

I'm very grateful for threads like these , it seems to be such a difficult area for decisions ...  :smiley:

I've avoided upgrading my stock EP's as I really couldn't afford top notch glass , TV et al , and wouldn't feel comfortable spending on mid-range stuff when a bit more saving would get me the good stuff.

I suppose the ideal scenario would be at a star-party with some poor soul willing to give up a scope for hours and a large selection of EP's to try out , but hardly fair on the donor ...  :smiley:

I guess there's a certain amount of "suck it and see" involved , presumably that's why there are so many eyepieces on the second-hand market with punters buying things and then not getting on with them.

I've spent 12 months trying to decide on a new planetary camera to no avail , same scenario ,just too much choice out there ...  :p

I'm very grateful for threads like these , it seems to be such a difficult area for decisions ...  :smiley:

I've avoided upgrading my stock EP's as I really couldn't afford top notch glass , TV et al , and wouldn't feel comfortable spending on mid-range stuff when a bit more saving would get me the good stuff.

I suppose the ideal scenario would be at a star-party with some poor soul willing to give up a scope for hours and a large selection of EP's to try out , but hardly fair on the donor ...  :smiley:

I guess there's a certain amount of "suck it and see" involved , presumably that's why there are so many eyepieces on the second-hand market with punters buying things and then not getting on with them.

I've spent 12 months trying to decide on a new planetary camera to no avail , same scenario ,just too much choice out there ...  :p

those new celestron skyris look very nice :D

I don't need anymore suggestions thank you very much , brain's half melted already ... 

I'm sticking with the two SPC900's for now , just had one fitted with a mono chip just in case I ever get the Lunt60 I yearn for.

I ought to get a couple of half decent EP's really , but not just yet ...  :smiley:

well i managed to get out for around 4 hours last night and was able to test them both on a fair number of objects and on jupiter which i hadn't seen this season yet. jupiter was my first target as is it was quite high and the first EP i decided on as the T2 16mm Nagler. i was shocked how poor it was at controlling the light scatter, giving internal reflections all over. the seeing was around 7-10 but jupiter was bubbling a little bit.so over to the 18mm ES and WOW instantly upon focusing i knew this EP is a Winner. Jupiter was sharp the several bands  could be seen with tiny details showing along the edges of the bands. no internal reflections  bouncing round. I had a run around Auriga with both EP's testing out FOV and contrast.I still feel although the Nagler has the better edge correction the contrast of the ES is much better, even M42 proved this. The ES on M42 was breathtaking the nebula was glowing and i could pick out structure around the trapezium stars, Although i was not able split A&E with the ES but with the Nagler I was able to split them clearly. i found myslef with the 18mm ES for the majority of the night. my conclusion i thinking about selling the Nagler to fun another ES 82 with a shorter FL i feel these EPs offer a very good alternative to TV, But i would like to compare the ES to a modern day Nagler.

Interesting findings Dan. Not tried a 16mm T2 Nagler myself.

Me neither. Shane has one though and rates it very highly. 

Still, you should go for the one that you prefer so it's the right decision for Daniel I'm sure  :smiley:

I've got the 16mm T2. It will spank virtually any eyepiece out there (Ethos excepted) on edge correction  at F/4 but the eye relief  is definately a slight weak point. RL

I've got the 16mm T2. It will spank virtually any eyepiece out there (Ethos excepted) on edge correction  at F/4 but the eye relief  is definately a slight weak point. RL

Yes i agree about the edge correction, i didnt mine the ER but i felt the image was dim compared to the ES18MM 

Archived