NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

new dob advise

looks like the wife has decided almost lol. on letting me have a new scope. i will have around 2k plus what ever i get for my cpc 9.25. what do i get, the david lukehurst 16" deluxe looks good but what do you think. also whats the best way to sell mine do i sell it standard or do i sell it complete with the badder steel track and badder clicklock, heaters e.t.c. thanks guys

If you want to maximise return then splitting stuff is the way to go but this is more work and hassle..

I would suggest selling on here and then if that does not work astro buy and sell and then ebay but you need to be careful selling second hand on line to make sure you get your money and do not put yourself at risk by meeting someone alone etc.

A 16 inch dob will let you see fainter objects but will be a lot bigger and heavier. Have you seen one in the flesh and made sure its what you want and will use. My 14 inch is a lot bigger than my old 10 inch which now seems like a toy!

I understand Lukehurst scopes are well regarded..

Mark

I'd be wary of getting rid of your handy 9.25" SCT. Big dobs are great but there are times when a smaller scope is more convenient.

I wouldn't be without my little 10" iDob. It' s dead handy little thing, ready to go in seconds, gives great views.

If you must sell the 9.25" SCT you'll want another small scope for those times I mentioned. Maybe a small 8"-10" Dob or smaller frac.

Haven't had a chance to use the David Lukehurst dobs but as above they do seem to have an excellent reputation. If it's a monster dob you're after have you seen the new truss dobs skywatcher are working on? here's a link to the SGL thread.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/192084-skywatcher-18-and-20-truss-dobsonians/page-5?hl=%2Bskywatcher+%2Bdob#entry2114200

Yep, I have to agree with Brantuk and Steve, if I had a c9.25 I would not necessarily be too eager to trade it on, it is just too versatile. As it is I could / would not sell my c8 as it receives a lot of use and is quite complementary to my 14" reflector.

Of course this does not help with funding for a premium 16" dob though. Both of my current scopes are ebay purchases which has helped a lot and I have other, non astro related stuff I am able to sell to help with funding. However a 16" plus dob would be a logical additional set up if you can find a way to factor it in.

The bigger the aperture, the fainter the objects you will see, but take away all the negatives and in perfect weather/seeing conditions it should work at its optimum. However at the plus side of 10" remember the practical limits of weight, size and portability.  I 150P could shame a 250P depending on the site its used at due to light pollution.

Thanks guys, might wait now untill I look through Swampthings, and estwings dobs in a few weeks and go from there. Nothing's easy is it, thanks to all

sent from my Sony Xperia

I think you will be quite spoiled by the views through those Dobs,but this will show whether the size is an issue or not for you.Those guys also run some of the best "accessories" goin too-that Starlight S.I.P.S looks to be amazing,and we know the Naglers and Ethos are excellent.Have fun! :grin:

Archived