Interesting stuff on viewing the Horsehead Nebula

John

With the Horsehead Nebula viewing season nearly here (at least when Orion starts clearing the surrounding houses and trees a bit more for me) I've been doing some more research into how to give oneself the best chance of spotting this challenging and elusive target.

I came across this web page which I'd not seen before. Some of it is perhaps a little controversial but nevertheless I think makes interesting reading on a cloudy night while waiting for a clear one !:

http://freescruz.com/~4cygni/haggisizing/astro/HH-sense.htm

Interesting information John. I know the observing area that he states which is about 50/60 miles from where my son lives. Perhaps I should take my 4" frac when I next visit?

I still think that Lucksall has a NELM of 6 mag so we should have a go next year. After all I did view the HH last year from Lucksall although I accept it was with a 16" Dob..

Great link John. Reckon I'll have another bash soon.

I did have a look for it before from a great site in Wales with a 16". Could see some nebulosity but couldn't work out what bit was what (forgot my star atlas :rolleyes: ) ended up confused Dob com.

LOL!@ confused Dob.com :laugh: -that was me the other night looking at some nebulosity arournd Alnitak....up,down East,North....& I had the map...Acey has helped me sort out the orientation on another thread...thankfully.That night was 21.3 mag/arc sec,with about 6 NELM,the difference being due to the transparency @ avg to below avg.However I did see NGC 2024 with no filter,so maybe there is a chance on the HH from here

LOL!@ confused Dob.com :laugh: -that was me the other night looking at some nebulosity arournd Alnitak....up,down East,North....& I had the map...Acey has helped me sort out the orientation on another thread...thankfully.That night was 21.3 mag/arc sec,with about 6 NELM,the difference being due to the transparency @ avg to below avg.However I did see NGC 2024 with no filter,so maybe there is a chance on the HH from here

The Ultrablock filter would be worth a try. I've seen reports of the HH being spotted using one of those. As a UHC filter it admits the H-Beta line as well as one or two others.

I've just managed to find a nice used Lumicon H-Beta filter so I'll be giving that a try when it arrives, alongside the 1000 Oaks H-Beta that SGL member Mark at Beaufort has kindly loaned me  :smiley:

Whilst at Kielder recently, I spoke to someone who was set up not far from myself and was aware that (on the Friday evening) successfully observed the Horse Head nebula. He was using a 12" reflector, recommended 150x mag wide field eyepiece, H-beta filter and waited until the early hours of the morning for Orion to reach its meridian. Seeing condtions were very good. 

I'm just waiting until Sunday or Monday to have a go, when my old friend the moon goes.

Good plan - the dear old Moon was washing everything out last night - I could barely see traces of M42 let alone anything fainter !

Good plan - the dear old Moon was washing everything out last night - I could barely see traces of M42 let alone anything fainter !

Indeed, I'll going to have a go from the 24th onwards, hope the skies are nice and clear, live in hope lol

Archived