Waxing moon formation

Ives

I am brand new to this forum, and by no means a star gazer or photographer. However, I do take the time to look up once in a while and appreciate the natural wonders that surround us.

With that said, please forgive me for any incorrect spelling, names, or lingo.

I was fortunate to witness what I think was the formation of a waxing moon.

I am in Johannesburg, South Africa. This occurred on either 5 or 6 October 2013 weeks ago at around 19:00. The sun had just set with the moon about 10-15 degrees above the western horizon. 

It looked as though the "bottom" part of the moon (closest to the horizon) was "burning" with an orange type of light as the sun's rays were lighting it up. Absolutely beautiful!

Unfortunately I do not have any decent camera equipment.

The reason for my post is seek any further info on whether anyone else saw this? And, if any anyone captured footage of this? I was hoping for something in the media.

Welcome Ives :smiley: . unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to see it. Which part of Jo-burg are you from?

Laura

Hi Laura. I am in Fourways, Bryanston. Northern Suburbs of Jo'burg.

It looked as though the "bottom" part of the moon (closest to the horizon) was "burning" with an orange type of light as the sun's rays were lighting it up. Absolutely beautiful!

Unfortunately I do not have any decent camera equipment.

Wouldn't that have occured during a partial lunar eclipse? I believe there was one around that time which was best veiwed from closer to the equator than we (un)'lucky' Brits. The colouration would most likely have been due to refraction of the sunlight through the upper part of Earth's atmosphere as part of the penumbra.

Archived