Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 in H-alpha/RGB

Martin-Devon

Well, we've had a dreadful run of bad weather now in the South-West of the UK, so this is all I could manage to scratch out in recent weeks. Image is a two pane mosaic consisting of 12x10min subs each for H-alpha, Red, Green and Blue. The H-alpha was added @ 75% in Lighten blend mode to the Red channel.

Thanks for looking,

Martin

10642934085_95974e94b2_b.jpg

Very lovely Martin, I like the dust strands.  I have been thinking of getting 2" HA filter as I use a DSLR at the moment, but I'm not sure if it will fit on a CCD camera when I eventually buy one.  Do you think it makes a big difference or should I wait?

Brenda

:smiley:

You're not kidding Martin:  lots of cloud in all of its varieties!  Never mind the rain & wind.

Great M31, I like the Ha feint red nebulosity in the arms.  Spot on sharp focus.

I've seen many examples of Ha being used as luminance on the forum but not having consistent seeing over the last few weeks I've hardly had a chance to get to know my new 460EX.  Maybe November will bring clear skies?

Barry

Thanks to everybody for the feedback.

Brenda - most CCD's are perfectly OK with the smaller (and cheaper) 1.25" H-alpha filters, it's only for the big widefields where a 2" is necessary. I've never used a DSLR, so I don't know the pros & cons of a 2" filter on these though, sorry...

Gingergeek - yes this image was taken with the gear outlined in my signature.

Looks like you have some good data there Martin. On a personal note I think I'd saturate the stars a little more to make them sparkle, they look a little flat. The core is well controlled too. Overall I feel it's a little blue, M31 often seems to be a little more yellow in the core. The dust detail looks very good as well.

Great image Martin :)  Congratulations on getting anything lately too :)  The weather has been absolutely appalling and apart from today (and hopefully a couple of hours tonight) looks like continuing that way for some time :(

This is a lovely M31, Martin.

The 2-pane mosaic makes for a lovely field of view and the detail you've brought out is stunning.  The colour is not the balance typically seen on this target - but then you know that - but I rather like it.

And as everyone else has said, congrats on getting anything with this weather...

Archived