Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light with FSQ 85 - at last!

steppenwolf

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like spacing, my APM & Riccardi did this when its too close between the CCD and rear reducer element, get the spacing spot on a 'perfect' stars are again available..

Thanks Guy. My original thought was that this was a spacing issue so I removed the reducer and took some 'native' test images relying purely on the Petzval optics and had the same elongation  - spacing is not an issue with a Petzval at native focal length.

A very nice and crisp tester. You must be very pleased so far. Good luck with finding and curing the miss alignment.

In fairness, I am very pleased with the setup but other owners don't have this issue and I want to join them!

I think some folks are getting excessively picky.

Guilty as charged - I was hoping that this 'scope would raise my game a little as I felt I had stalled a bit so my expectation was a jump closer to the optical perfection that others have found. A purchase like this for someone like me truly is a once in a lifetime event and I feel the need to capitalise on it to the max!

I ran it through CCD Inspector and it confirmed the tilt suspicion...

This would seem the most likely reason and the more I research the subject, the more I realise that a Petzval design is prone to asymmetrical distortions in response to small errors in orthogonality. My focuser is wonderfully solid (on a par with the Feathertouch on my FLT98) but I guess that doesn't guarantee that it is running true to the light cone.

Unlikely though is may seem, this could also be caused by a misalignment of the rear pair of lenses.

What a field of view though!!

You simply MUST do Orion next Steve :)

You are absolutely right. Tim, it is high on my priority list!! I did a single frame 600 second test image of the Horsehead in Ha (within Orion but not quite where you meant, I know!) and again the FOV is magnificent!

post-1029-0-48289100-1383928840_thumb.jp

Be nice to see the Horse in colour Steve too! :)

You bet it would but the decision is do I go Ha/OIII/OIII or LRGB? Currently I'm really into the former as I can get so much more out of a brief session and brief sessions is all the sky is allowing me at the moment. Although I have to confess that I misread the signs last night and Orion shone bright and beautiful when mother nature called at just gone four this morning!

LRGB. Narrowband images are like beards. What are you trying to hide? (Sara is exempted!!!  :grin: )

My 106 is not absolutely perfect in one corner but Parcel Force did launch a serious terrorist attack on it as it wended its way here. It meets my house standard. I'm a sloppy so and so, I know.

Steve, you are obviously getting there. Soon all will be well even by your standards. Fear not.

Olly

LRGB. Narrowband images are like beards. What are you trying to hide? (Sara is exempted!!!  :grin: )

My 106 is not absolutely perfect in one corner but Parcel Force did launch a serious terrorist attack on it as it wended its way here. It meets my house standard. I'm a sloppy so and so, I know.

Steve, you are obviously getting there. Soon all will be well even by your standards. Fear not.

Olly

Sorry Olly, can't agree on the narrowband front. whilst there is nothing natural about it, the same can be said for Salvador Dali. Doesn't make his work any less valid.

Having said that, I do prefer a more natural look (M16 being the exception).

Please read this with the light hearted inflection it was meant to carry :D

Scott

• 2 years later...
On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2013 at 16:41, steppenwolf said:

You are absolutely right. Tim, it is high on my priority list!! I did a single frame 600 second test image of the Horsehead in Ha (within Orion but not quite where you meant, I know!) and again the FOV is magnificent!

post-1029-0-48289100-1383928840_thumb.jp

I am glad you posted this as I have just bought an FSQ85. Gives me some perspective on the size of the scope image. I don't have the reducer as yet am not sure it will be worth it. I found my 132 WO too tight and did not get all the image in that I want. Time will tell.

Nice image. Be nice to see your colour images using this setup.

Derek

Archived