Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is it with gear and temptation?

Moonshane

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice little 66mm Equinox in the classifieds at the moment :-).

At this rate Shane, I shall have to donate the other half of my 80mm binos to you so you can make a finder out of it and avoid selling the Ethos!

Stu

I suspect Shane would think we had left the lens cap on if he tried any of our little 'fracs :-)

Stu

It's just like using a big finder :D.

The thing is, I love my 66mm because with my tripod / mount combo I can put it at my eye level, something I can't do with my 10" dob, not standing up at least.

LOL. you lot are worse than me! I think I'll finish my 12" travel dob first and then and only then think about a 114mm 'ickle' dob.

already forming plans, a ground board which fixes to a standard tripod head and I'm off.

I am at least.. don't know about everyone else.

It seems that we have a mild case compared to some on Cloudy Nights - just read the eyepiece section :rolleyes:

I came a bit late to this thread but found it hard to believe that you of all people was considering a frac. :eek:

Have been putting something in the Manchester water? :p

Don't worry, he is just playing with us, he won't ever do it :-)

Stu

ha ha I think I have seen the light (so to speak) now. must have just been some sort of hallucinogenic substance flushed through with the rain.

Nah, it's just Gear Syndrome. Thankfully I don't suffer with it often but there was a time when I was considering an SCT so I understand its damaging effect..;):)

to be completely honest Stu, it was the sheer loveliness of your TV76 that made me waver a bit. I'm recovering now.....

Don't try and blame me for all this, I'm in enough trouble without your help :-).

It is a lovely little scope, I must admit, but take a cold shower and all will be well soon. You never know, one day I may grow to love your strange drainage tube style telescopes which have big shaving mirrors placed rather loosely in the bottom of them......All very curious ;-)

Stu

Shane I fear one evening I am going to get plastered on a Friday and buy something I'll regret, so far though as much as I like to have a bevy or two in a weekend while sat sitting behind my PC drooling over TV eyepieces.  I hope I can keep that promise. Now after spending quite a bit in the last month already.  I have a small wad in there right now to buy at least one other eyepiece like a decent Plossl if I wanted to, but I hope my self control will keep me in check.  :smiley: Later down the line I can buy a nagler or something like that, it will be worth the wait. When I am sober I have no issue with that anyway, perhaps just staying  tee - total is the answer in this hobby when buying and make a promise, never buy, drink and buying don't mix :D  Coming to think of it, I  never bought something when drunk in my life except more beer ... so far anyway, but there is a first for everything  :0)

Maybe it's because most amateur astronomers have a tendency a tendency to OCD. I suspect if we had a better climate we'd spend more time obsessing about the stars rather than obsessing about the kit we have/don't have.....

Chris

That's spot on. 2012 was a poor year for astronomy in the uk . And I found I was spending most of the time buying items and selling other bits n bobs to the point where I was more addicted to the swapping/ selling than looking at the stars ! Better weather would help balance out this problem. . .....I think

I am off this week and was going to help with some of the groundwork planned for the next few days to finish off the Nursery play equipment. Unfortunately the wet weather has defeated us and we have abandoned hope until next week.

This left me with an hour or so in the computer and as we all know this is dangerous.

In this short time and despite me having three fantastic scopes and a box full of eyepieces to die for (and of course little enough time to use them as it is), I have gone through the following cycle:

• mmmmmmm Televue 70mm pronto for sale on AB&S
  • I'll offer a swap for my 13mm Ethos - rejected
  • I'll sell my 13mm Ethos to buy it
  • Cannot sell my Ethos surely!?
  • OK settle for an 80mm Optic Star f5 also for sale on AB&S
  • Do I really need another scope, let alone a frac?
  • But it would be useful when I cannot fit in a 'normal' scope (newt) on hols etc.
  • What about a ST80?
  • But mounting it, diagonals, wrong way round images.......
  • OK what about my original idea of a 114mm f4 newt? made into the cutest truss dob ever?
  • Oooooohhh but that pronto
  • stop it Shane!! you 1) have no spare cash 2) have a number of current projects to finish including the creation of a 12" suitcase dob  3) want to remain married 4) are just bored and obsessing about gear you don't really need :grin:

I notice that want to remain married comes third in the list :shocked:

shane, you mentioned the opticstar.....you missed out on my star sky 90, i am in the process of refining my astro needs, the 90 has left for a new owner, the 180 mak is going next week, i am sorting my scope collection to make more use of them

Hello, my name is Simon, and I too have Gear Acquisition Syndrome (gas).

It's been nearly an hour since my last Acquisition (FLO / online / 15x70's / £275+p&p).

Thank you so much for this thread. Its helping me better understand my affliction. I try to banish the Demons at FLO....but their prices are... just so low... and their website is just so....easy to use.

Archived