Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where to start?

Hi all

I am a total novice seeking help. After reading articles here I have purchased a second hand pair of 10x50 binos. My first objective is to learn the night sky. Where oh where do I start?? :-)

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Tapatalk

For a PC try stellarium, its a free sky map or for an Android phone / tablet try Google sky or an App called Skeye.. both free. Also if you search the forum there's a binocular sky newsletter published monthly around somewhere.

Or... Turn left at orion is a book that's well thought of, but its not free

Enjoy your bins :-)

The Plough and Casseiopia.

These are always visible so are good to be able to locate.

Pointers point "up" tp Polaris and so the little plough, and point down to Leo (not visible really at present).

The handle of the Plough if you follow the arc round goes splat into a big orange star called Arcturus, which is the main star in Bootes.

Realised the other day that the top 2 stars in the pan of the plough if extended "Right" bump into a bright star Capella, constellation Auriga.

The middle star of the handle of the plough is Mizar, aim binoculars at it and you will see it as a double.

So find the plough and there is something to occupy you for a night or two, and with the number of clear nights we have that's a month gone.

When Orion appears the belt stars point "right" to Taurus (Aldebaren - another bright orange star) and then The Pleiades.

The belt Stars point "left" to Sirius (brightest star in our sky) which is the main star in Canis Major.

Casseiopia is not easy to explain in words how to find things from it.

If you look up as in crick your neck looking up you will see 3 bright stars fairly well spaced apart - called the summer triangle.

Think what could be describes as the middle one is Deneb and is part of Cygnus. Is is sort of straight up, sometimes called the Cross or Crux. To the "left" is Vega - constellation Lyra. The other is Altair - constellation Aquila.

Get a simple book of constellations, stellarium is good but if on a laptop inside and even a few miles away it will not help, the other point is you are going out to look at the sky not work a computer. The 2 key words are SIMPLE and BOOK. Buying the Camridge photographic guide to the sky sounds good but impractical, a book aimed at a 12 year old much better.

Pop down to your local newsagent and grab a copy of Sky at Night magazine (and/or Astronomy Now). They list current binocular objects to look at, and the current constellations are labelled on the sky map in the center pages. You'll need to know the constellations cos finding an object usually involves starting at a bright constellation star and hopping stars to the target.

You'll also see the constellations in Stellarium and you can advance the time so you can see how they change over the course of a year and familiarise yourself with which objects are where and at what time of the year. Hth :)

Get a VERY sturdy, rock solid camera tripod that you can mount your binos to. It helps stabilize the binos so you can spend more time locked onto whatever objects you wish to view without the object in the FOV moving all over.  There are also monopods for the same purpose and some prefer them, although they can still move side to side.  

Some great advice already given by others - I would just add that for around £15 (often less) you can get a Planisphere which will give you a simple and portable guide to the constellations. When used with some of the other recommendations on here it will help you find your way around.

Martin

Bins are a great way to start. +1000 for turn left at orion as per Knobby's suggestion. That and the tripod should keep you going for ages. Some people go straight for a scope  but knowing where to point it is key. The great field of view (fov) in bins will bring the sky to life. 

Wish you clear skies an  good luck.

Wow!

Thank you all very much for many great ideas and advice. This will get me past Christmas and the temptation of buying a scope too early. I'm sure I'll be back here soon with many more questions but judging by these responses I'm sure I'll get the advice I need!

Thanks again all :-)

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Tapatalk

Consider Sky Safari for your tablet/iPhone, the Plus version for $15. It sports a great database and a built-in Telrad for point-and-identify or for search mode. And when we started, we used TUBA--Phil Harrington's site Touring the Universe with Binoculars. What used to be available as a book is now there for everyone to use or download.

Archived