Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

California Nebula (ngc1499) in HaRGB

fwm891

I've looked at this for ages Francis and compared it to a few other NGC1499's that are out there. I really do like the framing, very different to the usual diagonal framing that we generally see. On a personal note I think it's a little pink, caused by adding Ha as luminance. There's a slight hint of a gradient as well, but on a mosaic this can be hard to deal with and you can end up chasing your tail.

I like the level of detail and the nebulosity is super.

You've also helped me orientate my panes, so that's for that!!! :smiley:

Do you know, I've been staring at this too. Sara's right, the framing is really good. I particularly like it that way. Mark mentions it too.

It also has the effect of looking like someone is shining a torch through the back of my laptop screen. Excellent.

Dave.

Wow. Thanks ALL. I was pleased with it but didn't think it that good and as Sara says trying to get 3 Ha and 3 RGB panels to get anywhere near matching was a headache (still not right).

My original thinking on this re: framing was to use 6 panels 3 along the top and three below so they all overlapped down the axis of the neb and extended further out at each end.

However mother nature sent cloud in early on cutting down the time i could put into this in a single night so I ended up aligning the long axis of the frame with the axis of the neb and taking three panels in Ha and RGB from left to right.

The alternative would have been to align the camera at right angles to the neb and give a little more room top and bottom but that would have meant at least four panels along the axis - possibly five.

I'm looking at the flats I used and I'm not sure they matched very well and probably caused some of the problems matching the panels together.

Thanks again - enjoyed this one.

Glad to help out Sara - good luck with yours :smiley:

Thanks Andy,

I'm playing with a reprocess atm while I want to dampen down the 'pink' I don't want a bright red rendition as that seems to kill the wisps of dust around the periphery of the nebula

Archived