NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

till 5:30, i usually go up through durker and along through chapelthorpe so not really past your work just near it :)

i usually get home for just before 6 if the traffic is ok

Well, if you see a mad middle-aged woman in a metallic blue Hyundai i10, looking very excited that it is the weekend....... then that'll be me! :D

Not looking at all like any good tonight for clear patches. Checked 3 weather forecasts now and all the same

I've just got home and looked, and thought exactly the same.

Time for a beer me thinks, and I'll keep my eye on the South East horizon later on after midnight to see if there are any clear patches for Saturn :)

don't think there is any night this weekend worth aiming for from the weather forecast I have heard on the radio,  good job really, I am still recovering from last weekend :)

YES!!!! I have finally seen Saturn and it is beautiful!!!

Took the little 80mm frac upstairs as I knew I wouldn't get the 8SE set up in time.

I know it's fuzzy and out of focus (and I don't care), but I even managed a quick A-focal image before the clouds came in.

I'm thrilled to bits - one very happy girl :)

post-39306-0-10239200-1430528020.jpg

Glad you have got to see it Vicky.

I have to agree it is a sight to behold. A full on WOW moment and pictures don't do the live view justice. Still gracing the constellation Scorpio with it's presence above the 3 stars of the claw.

With the rings at the angle they are the cassini division is easier to pick out once you get your eye in.

The moon's as Astrotyke pointed out are worth teasing out and trying to tag with the name's.I've put this on before but it's lost back in the thread so here's a reminder and the view can be matched to your scope

http://www.wwu.edu/skywise/saturn.html

Can't wait for a look again myself

Damian

Thanks again for the link Damian, however I had saved it on my home screen when you posted it previously.

I try to keep gathering as much information/help as I can ;)

I wasn't sure if I had captured Titan and Rhea (to the right of the image), although it is probably wishful thinking, and the tiny feint dots are probably something else. Maybe someone can clarify this.

The image was so tiny, as I had only used the 80mm frac, it was really zoomed in to be able to see anything.

Looked stunning in "real life", even through the small scope - loved it!

Best half an hour of the week! :)

Seeing as it's cloudy might have to go to greenwitch and bye some astro gear lol Mark

no no no, buy a bird feeder or something from them, otherwise you will double the cloud cover :grin:

no no no, buy a bird feeder or something from them, otherwise you will double the cloud cover :grin:

I have lots of bird feeders look 07bc2fe77c2544e3e7a93965dadf4868.jpg

There could not be more cloud if I went out and bought clouds l

Mark

lol we had 3 weeks of cloud after i got my new scope, all my fault lol

It is a shame saturn is so low, I think it was around 1995-96 time when I got my first 114mm reflector that saturn was alot higher in the sky as I remember looking at it through my scope. Saturn is at opposition on the 23rd so it should still be a good sight around midnight when it will be at its highest in the sky, only 18 degrees of altitude. Lets hope for clear skies around then :)

Archived