Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help removing Baader clicklock from SCT

Hi,

I recently got my hands on a second hand C8 SCT. It came with a few accessories including a 2" Baader clicklock attached to the scope which I want to remove so I can attach my Crayford focuser. Trouble is I've not been able to figure out how to remove it, I though a 1/16 allen key or similar size would do the job but it's proved not to be the case.

Would appreciate any advise as I'm keen to get this scope setup for planetary imaging. 

post-26155-0-14372200-1381007542_thumb.j

Many Thanks

Al 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it just screwed onto the SCT thread  :icon_scratch: Turn it anti-clockwise? I had the 3.25" version, which just screwed on.

I had a go earlier this morning at turning it anti-clockwise but it's fastened solid. Still can't work out how to get this off .

You could always drop a message to FLO to confirm it is screw on/off, as they sell these sct adaptors...

The allen screws allow you to rotate the entire unit to put the opening/closing handle where you want it (eg for left handed people). I think you will just have to get a good grip and unscrew it  :angry9:

Edit:

http://www.365astronomy.com/baader-2-clicklock-2-clextension-47mm-p-2274.html

From this you can see that it is a screw thread underneath.

Baader products are EU so the locking grub screws are metric threads.

To remove the jammed Click Lock assembly, completely remove all the locking grub screws, now use one or two long metric threaded screws of ~15mm length and the same thread size and fit them into the holes previously used by the grub-screw, tighten only finger tight, now use the protruding screws to put a light anticlockwise turning force on the Click Lock, at the same time use a hair dryer to heat the Click Lock as quickly as possible, as the Click Lock expands the threads should break free and you can then unscrew the Click Lock from the SCT thread.

Be careful not to over do the turning force on the added screws or you will strip the threads.

William.

It says release on it so i assume it twists clockwise because i cant see an arrow pointing anti-clockwise. I'm not familiar with this item so i cant say how its fixed on. William's idea sounds good.

Sorry. I am wrong. To release it,it does turn anti-clockwise:

post-5361-0-46708200-1381070627.jpg

Your picture shows the later pattern on rear for the SCT. It should just screw off its just a little tight, the hair dryer sounds a good idea   :smiley:

Let us know how you get on.

I have this set up on my C9.25 using a 2" Baader Quicklock. As others have said losen/remove all the allen grubscrews then maybe a bit of gentle but brute force if it is still stuck fast. If you can lay your hands on a pair of waterpump (sliding adjustable) pliers and wrap some protection around the quicklock then give it a tug is should loosen off. If you are not bothered about damaging the quicklock then scrub the protection around it. You should get some better grip that way. Of course don't squeeze too hard otherwise you may damage the internal thread and deform the visual back thread.

I also have a c9.25 and use a click lock. The Allen screws are to allow you to rotate the assembly so you can have the click at your preferred angle. You need those tight to remove it. It should unscrew, but if too tight can I suggest not using anything to mechanically squeeze it, that can only lead to bad things happening. Instead try something like a strap wrench instead. Like this. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00122ZJ9C/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_xyAusb1CJ956E for about a tenner for 2. epe7a2yn.jpg

They have rubber straps which wrap around things (in this case your click lock visual back) and then go into the handle. That way friction holds them in place and stops it slipping so there is much less compressive force than with a plier type wrench. You have to use them the right way round but when you do they work a treat for tight delicate situations.

Gave it the hairdryer treatment but to no avail, it's stuck fast! Will purchase a soft grip strap wrench to give that a try.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I'll order these now as I work away during the week so will give this a try next weekend and report back.

Al

I've gone and ordered them on Amazon now, I'm sure they will arrive by the time I get back.

I've ordered some too as it goes. My old ones were end if life after about 15 years, and they're the kind of tool you just want in the house ready for when you need them.

Hope they work for you. :-)

SUCCESS! It's off  :laugh:

Those Draper strap wrenches are great. The click lock put up a fight though and I had to use the large wrench to dislodge it as the smaller just wasn't quite up to it. Focuser now attached so on to my next job which is to add a motor which I've been putting off ordering until I had removed the click lock.

Many Thanks all for very helpful advise. 

Al

post-26155-0-20856800-1381437826_thumb.j

Archived