NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scope's out!

kerrylewis

best viewing i've had yet from 3.30am to 5.30am wonderful clear sky.

awesome again jupiter was fantastic.then mars, looked if i could glimpse comet ison (heard its a green/grey smudge, but no luck) turned the scope to M42 and did a few sketches on a couple of post it notes.

lesson to myself never cut the grass on the day of a night stargazing night (wife aint seen all the cuttings that i have traipsed through the kitchen, best get the broom out.)

martin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very disappointing with a forecast that was simply wrong for my location. The evening started OK with mainly clear skies and reasonable seeing although it was never going to be a night for the fainter targets. I turned in about 11 thinking that I would be refreshed for a session with Jupiter and friends in the early hours. But...... having checked about 1.00 - still clear, I'll give in another hour- it was wall to wall cloud for the rest of the night! From 2.00 onwards I got up hourly (I'll be in trouble for that!) but still the same picture - solid cloud. Mr Met Office you sure got that one wrong.

Tonight?

I got a quick go with the Terminagler and was most impressed with Bodes, Andromeda and the double cluster, they all fit in the FOV brilliantly, in addition the contrast was lovely and dark in comparison to the 34 Maxi :smiley:  so I am very pleased about that.

The clouds returned and did not break even though I waited until 4am :sad:

The sun is out today so I will spend some time looking at sun spots  :smiley:

My initial pessimism was unfounded, things cleared up around 11:45 and managed a good 5hrs before packing in for the night. Still setting up and fine tuning stuff and managed to break the back of most of it – glad I did not just go to bed. 

anyone else really missing having a planet to look at?  The sky would've been perfect last night if I'd stayed up to 2am for jupiter, no chance of that though after the day id had.

Yes I am missing it too, I did wait up but it never happened :smiley:

Just been out this evening.  The sky is clear but the transparency isn't good.  Not the greatest night for astronomy, I think.

James

Despite the high cloud I'm giving it a go- way better than the 100% cloud cover last night!

EDIT- need some practice setting up the tripod rig anyway- too used to my fixed piers......took half an hour to get good PA! 

Yesterday the astronomy weather app forecast good for stargazing and there was wall to wall cloud.

Tonight the app forecast not good for stargazing but its clear.

Managed a couple of hours sketching the double double, the triangle formed by vega, epsilon lyr and zeta lyr.

Also managed to sketch the alpha persius cluster before some wispy cloud put an end to the session.

After I had packed up the sky was clear again but I'm not complaining.

Avtar

It happened again. Gave up after a mediocre evening session fighting the haze. But at about 3.00 through the window Jupiter was shining high with the twins and the the Pleiades were scintillating. Got dressed and outside - 60% cloud cover! Powered up the scope - 95% cover: Jupiter a pale dot. I don't belieeeeeeeve it! Back to bed

It happened again. Gave up after a mediocre evening session fighting the haze. But at about 3.00 through the window Jupiter was shining high with the twins and the the Pleiades were scintillating. Got dressed and outside - 60% cloud cover! Powered up the scope - 95% cover: Jupiter a pale dot. I don't belieeeeeeeve it! Back to bed

Someone is watching you Kerry, I got caught out again too :smiley:

Archived