Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what's the story with vibration pads...?

emadmoussa

I keep coming across these vibration pads online. I don't know whether or not they work effectively, but they seem over-priced, aren't they? They retail at about £50 on average...

Did anybody try them hands-on? Can't you make your own using the same principles of physics?

41Y43XV8S8L._SX385_.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a set of the Meade anti vibration pads (same design as the others). I paid £25 for them used and they are worth every penny. They don't stop vibrations completely but they reduce the damp down time by about 50% which is really valuable at high magnifications. I've found they work either on grass or the patio although grass seems to dampen vibrations more quickly itself to some extent.

So not just a marketing gimmick but it's up to you to decide if you want to fork out for the benefit of course  :smiley:

I use something very similar that I made at work from plastic and silicone. They work well for me in a couple of ways. If I set up on the patio or when the ground is dried out and hard, they reduce vibration. If I set up on the grass and it's a bit soft, the weight of my set up causes it to slowly sink in. This messes up the PA and causes no end of issues when imaging. The little plastic pads spread the load and stop the feet from sinking in.

The Meade ones (and I guess the Celestron ones too) comprise of a hard plastic cup which "floats" on a layer of vibration dampening gel called sorbothane. The gel is itself encased in a hard plastic cup which is what rests on the ground. There was a thread on these a while back that is worth a read:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/97798-vibration-dampers/

I personally haven't used these but imagine this scenario - walking along a patio or hard surface, towards or away from your scope. Each footstep potentially causes vibrations in your set up. These pads will help dampen and reduce this effect. If your imaging this can make the difference between a useable and wasted sub (especially at long FL). Now, of course there are other ways to avoid this issue, like having a remote set up but if your near a busy street, like mentioned above they can be useful.

Now, I know you no longer image, but IMO this would make them even more important as you will constantly be close to the scope causing vibrations as you move about.

Also, like with most things it pays to shop around!

]As above comments, they are very useful. I use a porta mount - which is vibration city. The solution i adopted was 3 tennis balls which i cut holes to fit.  It works surprisingly well !

andrew

Nice idea!!

I'm just wondering why the Porta is vibration invested, this mount in particular is advertised as ''light'' and ''stable'', I even have on my list for a future grab and go mount. Is it the tripod? Speaking of which, can you place on an EQ5 tripod?

Don't get me wrong, i love it. I've found it a lot more friendly in use than an AZ4 i had. It's on aluminium tripod and you could of course use a steel or wood one for extra stability. But for me i want to keep things ultra light and portable, and the tennis balls do help.  On the porta 11 head you can put most tripods on it.

andrew

Don't get me wrong, i love it. I've found it a lot more friendly in use than an AZ4 i had. It's on aluminium tripod and you could of course use a steel or wood one for extra stability. But for me i want to keep things ultra light and portable, and the tennis balls do help.  On the porta 11 head you can put most tripods on it.

andrew

Curious, how far can you push this mount in terms of weight?

Archived