Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Homemade Eyepiece Box

jonifive

Hi all. Whilst making Xmas pressies for the family I decided to make a box for my extra EP's and extention tubes and diagonals etc. I had a few off cuts and made this smallish box. It needs a catch and a foam insert so I'm 99 percent there. The ends are beech, the sides are cherry and the base and top are made from zebrano. What do you think? These cloudy night are great for spending time in the workshop!!!

JV :rolleyes:

2819_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2820_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys!

Zebrano is an african wood, it is quite oily and very very hard. The black grain shows where the tree was burnt by the sun. You can tell which years were really hot and which were mild by the thickness of the dark banding. I find it facinating.

It is also very expensive! It cost me £60 for a three foot long x 10" wide by 1" thick piece. It was heartbreating watching it go through my thicknesser. I must have milled about £20.00 away :rolleyes: Looks great with a few (10) coats of Danish Oil.

Any ideas as to where I can get some foam to hold the EPs?

JV

Thanks Ron, thats a nice thing to say but Phil is a much better craftsman than I!

KK - Thats a really difficult one to answer. I have a few books but they show the wood in it's cut state, not finished. I usually (and this sounds horrible) rub some spit into the wood and this gives you a fair idea of how it would look with a clear sealer or oil or varnish finish. If you go to a good supplier they will usually give you an off cut you can try at home. My supplier is on Anglesey.....he is a pain in the bum and doesn't stop talking, but he has a huge array of wood and will give you a good idea of how to finish each piece. Sorry I know this doesn't help you, but I am told that a lot of good suppliers are like this.

JV

Thanks JV. I might pop in and see if they have any offcuts. (I'll take the van in case the offcuts are large or there are many of them :lol: ).

Kaptain Klevtsov

Hehehe, "If you ain't got optimism, you ain't got nothin." I don't remember who said it, but it sure helps one to get through life.

I hope your van is a large Transit KK. :rolleyes:

:D

It might be a long way off for you Jonathon, but I recently found a place just outside Boroughbridge that sells some fantastic and exotic woods,Zebrano, Ebony, Cedar of Lebanon, American Tulip plus many many more. If your interested I'll pm you details.

Happy Christmas Karlo. :santa:

I once seen a Dobsonian Telescope, made by a guy in America. It was a very large instrument, but made with different types of wood, with inlays of complimentary woods. The fittings were polished brass. You never saw such a work of art in your life. It was so beautiful this creation, even his wife insisted it was parked in their living room. I just wish I could remember the guys name, and better still the website where I saw it.

It just reinforces my claim that there is no finer medium to build with on this planet, especially when the work is done by a wood artist who simply loves the material, and the working of it.

Unfortunately I am the type who would give wood a bad name, even if I was just chopping it up for kindling.

Ron. :rolleyes:

Archived