NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Red lense for a torch

If you want a red beam then paint just the bulb with red, very high temperature engine paint, £7.49 from Halfords (red nail varnish works as well but doesn't last as long before it discolours or peels).

If you want just a red "light" then a red party balloon stretched over the lens and taped into place lasts years.

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165495

I've put red insulation tape over an LED torch recently and it worked really well. Also, on the plus side you can easily pull it off again after to make use of the torch as normal too.

Seconded !

I've been using this method for as long as I can remember. Works superbly.

Andy.

I use an Energizer head torch with red LED option. They don't cost much and the battery lasts ages. Leaves two hands free for eyepiece changes. etc You can tilt the beam too, which serves as a crude brightness control.

I bought and LED torch from Tesco for £6 with the intention of colouring it in with acetate or nail varnish.

Seems hobbycraft dont sell acetate which is red so I stole my wifes No7 red (she's yet to find out) and have applied 2 coats to the torch.

It has a design with a little raised half dome in the centre of the glass which acts to provide a bright spot in the centre of the illumination.  This is proving difficult to actually turn red.  It's currently a light pink where the rest of the torch is shining a nice red now.  I fear it'll need quite a few more coats before it dulls enough to be a bright red spot instead of pink which I think will take the night vision away.

Hi

That headtorch is what I use, but I've "modded" it a bit by disconnecting the wire that connects the switch to the white light. (in case I dazzle someone)

Keeps my brownie points intact at Star Camps  :grin:

Neil

I've got one of those head torches too.  I have tp push it three times to cycle up to the red setting.  It's got focused white, wide white, wide and focusd white and then finally red.

I usually click fours times in my pocket and then get it out and put it on my head.  or if its on my head I squeeze me eyes tight and push four times and open my non observing eye a tiny bit to see if I see red!   Hell of a faff..  I'm tempted to just give it to my dad who is an engineer and let him take it apart and make it work

do bear in mind that when looking at someone with a red head torch you can dazzle them and ruin their night vision - intensity is almost as important as colour. when standing face to face, switching it off is appreciated! :grin:

I'd second that. I got a Petzl Tikka Plus, which comes with a red LED light (and is a great wee head torch), but I've still put nail varnish over it to try and dim it down. There seems to be a body of people that think as long as the light is red, it's fine, but it can still be blinding.

Oh, and the Tikka Plus's cycle is that you hold the ON button to switch white to red and back, but once in red-light, turning it off and on just turns it off and on in red.

Thanks for the advice re blinding fellow stargazers. I guess you can tell I haven't been to any camps yet! Just to note my Energizer model doesn't cycle through from white to red. There's just a switch with left for white and right for red

I'd second that. I got a Petzl Tikka Plus, which comes with a red LED light (and is a great wee head torch), but I've still put nail varnish over it to try and dim it down. There seems to be a body of people that think as long as the light is red, it's fine, but it can still be blinding.

I have a 30 year old red light torch from when I was into astronomy the first time around and whilst it's fine, it's a pain to hold it and do anything else at the same time. I briefly tried my wife's Petzl e-Lite head torch red LED setting and quickly gave that up as a bad job - way too bright as you say Andy with your Petzl.

I've now just taken delivery of this - attracted by the reviews rubbishing it as a torch (lol). It looks suitably dim and diffuse so I'm hoping it will do the job nicely!

Archived