Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

NickK

INDI Linux & OSX ATIK Drivers up!

It sounds almost too good to be true... lol

Now we just need to find a good Linux sofware.

Pushing boundaries means starting somewhere! Only thing is software costs someone something.

Not keen on indi personally but it does support SX too on mac.. Installing macports is akin to installing Linux on you machine! Although I may be biased!

My laptop runs Debian, I had to create a small partition for XP and all the astro software I need.

The issue is the battery doesn't last long on XP, but quite a few hours under Linux.

XP does little to save power compared to modern OSes

Edit - sorry that was so brief, it was raining like mad getting off the train.

Edited by NickK

Nick,

I posted this already on indilib forum, but I would like to hear your opinion as well. It seems there is a huge difference in images taken with Windows driver coming from Atik and Linux drivers:

post-26662-0-25554800-1388788824_thumb.j

Any idea where this might come from? These pictures are taken from the same setup just using Lin and Win respectively. Acquisition time is the same. It seems linux driver doesn't turn the amp of or sth like that :( My camera is Atik 314L (without plus).

Cheers,

milosz

It seems the image is reflected (mirrored down the centre) and has the amp left on, it looks like there's some scaling issue too but this could be the pixinsight scaling.

So in short - the amp glow was fixed in the mac drivers in the last release (thanks to James@FLO for detecting this) and was originally introduced into my own drivers at this point..

Knowing the drivers backwards having rewritten the entire lot.. the INDI folks claim that their code is not based off my drivers.. but I know the original code was supplied to them and that it had this bug in whereas the original (which is used by windows) doesn't have this bug. So if they've written their code based off mine then they need to disable the amp whilst the image is being captured (I know where that problem was in the OSX drivers but if Cloudbusters recoded then I don't know where it will be in their code). Coincidence?

So a simple fix and Peter (cloudbusters) should have no trouble adding it (it is literally a one line change).

Let me wander over to the INDIlib forums and answer there - Peter can pick that up quicker.

Edited by NickK

Yup - Peter has now corrected it :)

• Like 1

It seems the image is reflected (mirrored down the centre) and has the amp left on, it looks like there's some scaling issue too but this could be the pixinsight scaling.

I think mirroring in ArtemisCapture 'feature'. I can't compare it with MaxIm for example, but I heard some people noticed that. But the flip isn't a big deal I guess :)

Peter reports that the bug is fixed. I will try to confirm that tomorrow.

Cheers,

milosz

It sounds almost too good to be true... lol

Now we just need to find a good Linux sofware.

There is Ekos.

Features:

• Control your telescope, CCD (& DSLRs), filter wheel, focuser, guider, adaptive optics unit, and any IND-compatible auxiliary device from Ekos.
  • Extremely accurate GOTOs using astrometry.net solver (both Online and Offline solvers supported).
  • Load & Slew: Load a FITS image, slew to solved coordinates, and center the mount on the exact image coordinates in order to get the same desired frame.
  • Measure & Correct Polar Alignment errors using astromety.net solver.
  • Auto and manual focus modes using Half-Flux-Radius (HFR) method.
  • Automatic focus between exposures when a user-configurable HFR limit is exceeded.
  • Auto guiding with support for automatic dithering between exposures and support for Adaptive Optics devices in addition to traditional guiders.
  • Batch capture of images with optional prefixes, timestamps, and filter wheel selection.
  • Automatic abort and resumption of exposure tasks if guiding errors exceed a user-configurable value.
  • Complete integration with KStars Observation Planner and SkyMap
  • Integrate with all INDI native devices.

There is Ekos.

Features:

• Control your telescope, CCD (& DSLRs), filter wheel, focuser, guider, adaptive optics unit, and any IND-compatible auxiliary device from Ekos.
  • Extremely accurate GOTOs using astrometry.net solver (both Online and Offline solvers supported).
  • Load & Slew: Load a FITS image, slew to solved coordinates, and center the mount on the exact image coordinates in order to get the same desired frame.
  • Measure & Correct Polar Alignment errors using astromety.net solver.
  • Auto and manual focus modes using Half-Flux-Radius (HFR) method.
  • Automatic focus between exposures when a user-configurable HFR limit is exceeded.
  • Auto guiding with support for automatic dithering between exposures and support for Adaptive Optics devices in addition to traditional guiders.
  • Batch capture of images with optional prefixes, timestamps, and filter wheel selection.
  • Automatic abort and resumption of exposure tasks if guiding errors exceed a user-configurable value.
  • Complete integration with KStars Observation Planner and SkyMap
  • Integrate with all INDI native devices.

I'm using it already :-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TakMan
      A big thanks to PhotoGav who posted some simple to follow instructions on how to use the stand-a-lone software earlier in his M27 thread.
      I'll post again, but add that any file names must NOT include spaces. You can instead use a '_'.
      If (as I do do), you embed your RGB files with a colour profile upon saving, that appears to be fine.

How to get the standalone Starnet version to work on the Mac
      1. Download the latest version of Starnet for Mac OS from here:
      https://sourceforge.net/projects/starnet/files/v1.1/StarNet_MacOS.zip/download
      2. Unzip the folder and place it on your Desktop
      3. Save the image that you want to make starless as a 16 bit mono or RGB .tif file

*****DO NOT use spaces in file name, instead use _
      4. Place the file in the Starnet folder on your desktop
      5. Open Terminal and navigate to the Starnet folder, copy this command:
      cd ~/Desktop/StarNet_MacOS           - into Terminal and hitting Enter
      6. Open in Text Editor either the file:
      'run_mono_starnet.sh'
      or
      'run_rgb_starnet.sh'
      depending on whether you are working with a mono or RGB file and edit the filenames in there to be the filename of the file that you want to make starless
      Save the txt file above in part 6, then....

7. Drag either 'run_mono_starnet.sh' or 'run_rgb_starnet.sh' onto the Terminal window and you should see the path of the the file appear
      8. Make sure that Terminal is the uppermost window and hit enter - Program will run (this can take a while!)
      9. When it's finished doing its magic, go to the Starnet folder, open up the _s version of your file and be amazed at the results!

I am (amazed), thanks again Gav for posting!
      Some examples from playing around late this afternoon... the starless colour and mono images straight out of StarNet, no extra processing.
      I still prefer my images with an embedded star field, but this should be great fun and be rather useful whilst processing...
      Damian

The Ha data

• By Savage234
      I recently upgraded to a purpose made astro-camera (Atik Horizon Color). The learning curve has definitely been noticeable, but I cant figure a couple things out.  For some reason the pictures are grey scale when using N.I.N.A. I have tried different binning and formats, but the image is always black and white. 
      If I use the ATIK software (Infinity,Dusk) there is an option for 'Color Binning', and that seems to have fixed it for those programs, but N.I.N.A doesn't seem to have that option (you can not select anything for binning, or select 1x1, 2x2 ect.). But what makes it weirder is that the preview is always color using N.I.N.A. I used a pinhole lens cover to take pictures of my computer screen and it always shows up as color images. However, if I take that exact image file that previews in color and move it to pixinsight, it is grey-scale. 
      Is this a binning thing, file format problem? At this point I am just confused, if the preview of the image is color shouldn't the image data be color as well?
      So far all the problems I have had with this camera have just been simple things that were new to me, but this one is really throwing me for a loop. Thanks for any help. 
      I've attached a couple images. The first you can see the NINA preview is color, as well with the couple other I took in the bottom right. And the other in a photo of trying to color saturate the stretched image in Pixinsight, and it says that it cannot saturate a grey-scale image.  I have tried this with Tif, Fits, and various binning types. 
    • By tooth_dr
      I scrapped all the Oiii and Sii data I previously took during a full moon (about 15 hours worth) and retook it all when the moon was a bit smaller at 76%.  Ha was taken during 98% and 67% moon.  All the lights were taken on the following nights: 12th, 19th and 20th September 2019.
      Integration times, all in 600s subs unbinned:
      Ha = 28.33 hours
      Oiii= = 5.67 hours
      Sii = 5.67 hours

The Ha data is really nice, and unsurprisingly the Oiii and Sii is not as strong (or nice).
      I'm missing that (vital) step in my processing routine of getting the Sii and Oiii properly stretched to match the Ha, before combining.  I dont really know how to deal with the weaker data properly.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
      What I do currently:
      All the data is loaded into APP into separate channels/sessions.
      The data is stacked and registered against the best Ha sub
      This produces individual stacks of Ha, Sii and Oiii that are all registered
      Each channel is processed with DPP in APP and then saved as a 16bit TIFF
      Each is opened in PS
      Stars removed with AA and any remnants removed and tidied up
      I then open a blank RGB document in PS
      I paste Ha into Green, Sii into Red and Oiii into Blue
      Adjust the selective colour settings to get 'Hubble palette'
      Adjust levels, curves, saturation until looks ok
      All the Ha Sii Oiii data is then combined together in a single 'super' stack in APP using quality weighted algorithm to create a 'luminance'
      That luminance layer is adjusted using levels, curves, and NC tools such as local contrast enhancement and deep space noise reduction (using masks to apply as required)
      The luminance is pasted onto the above colour layer, and incrementally added using gaussian blur
      Cropped and saved.

Here it is anyway   I haven't intended on any more exposure time for this one, but will consider it, if the expert opinion dictates otherwise!

CS
      Adam

• By cyg
      Hi
      I am looking for a good condition Atik 460ex Colour (OSC)
      Thanks for reading
      Regards
      Cyg
    • By tooth_dr
      Taken on Sunday evening with a 98% Moon.
      Comprising of 12 x 600s subs using an ED80 with a 0.85x FF, an Atik 383L+ and a 7nm Optolong Filter.
      Stacked in DSS, and processed in PS.

Full frame and cropped, mono and h-alpha colour using NC Actions.

Thanks for looking
      Adam.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.