Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light for ATIK 460 (and 1800s exposures) - IC1805

AndyUK

The postman delivered an almost new ATIK 460 to me on Monday and although it was with some sadness that I unscrewed my 314L+ from the filter wheel, I was able to give it a bit of shakedown that same might. Unbelievably the clouds stayed away for a few hours, and it (mostly) remained clear again on Tuesday... and again on Wednesday [sHOCK!]

This is also the first time I've ventured onto 1800s exposures - I was fairly happy with 1200s, but then things started going very wrong and drift became a huge issue. On recommendation from Sara (Swag72) I started a 60 day trial of PEMPro, which reduced my drift and PA rotation significantly - I am SO going to buy it when the trial ends :smiley:! So after the first light with Ha on 1200s exposures, Tuesday and Wednesday saw 1800s being keyed into the sequencer for the first time

Enough babbling - Here's the details:

APM80/f6 & Riccardi Reducer, data capture via MaximDL (CdC / EQMOD), OAG pulse guided via Lodestar through MaximDL, stacked in DSS, processed and tonemapped in CS5

Ha - 9x1200s

OIII - 8x1800s

SII - 11x1800s

(30 flats, 51 bias, -10C)

The Image is slightly cropped due to misalignment of camera as when I adjusted the spacing after the Ha first light, I didn't match the rotation for the other nights. I know the framing isn't brilliant either(!), but I wasn't expecting this to be any more than a test - Although I still have a little fiddling to do, I'm quite surprised how this has come out :smiley:.

I'm attaching two versions - One for those with sunglasses and one for those without - as I can't decide which I like the best - Any comments on preference or indeed any comments on what I could do to improve are VERY welcome!

IC1805HSTALLCORRECTEDFINALP1_zps54b2d91f.jpg

IC1805HSTALLCORRECTEDFINALP1Desat_zpseafde5d8.jpg

Nice images Andy, you'll love the 460, of the two versions you've shown I have a slight preference for the 2nd. PEMPro is an excellent piece of software for getting highly accurate polar alignment - the 'litmus-test' is to do a 5 minute unguided sub and see whether you have any star trailing or not, but usually after a proper PEMPro run these are very good. Now you have the 460, you'll be able to go back to the IC1396 marathon you were doing which will now require fewer frames...

Martin

Cheers James - Thanks for the comment - I too thought it had a window effect as well, but it was totally by accident! And yes, you're right, the signature's WELL out of date - I'll have to sort that out [EDIT; Sorted (sort of!)]

Martin - I must admit, I think I prefer the second version too (slightly more subtle?), but my wife preferred the first one, and as she's the one who approves my astro purchases, I have to pander to my "sponsor"!

The 460 FoV certainly suits me better than the 314L+ for the bigger DSO's on the APM80, but it'll be interesting to see how I feel about it with the MN190 - The 314L+ was an excellent match with that and superb at getting in close. (In fact it'll be interesting to take the dustsheet off the MN190 entirely as I've not tried it with a truly polar aligned mount before, or indeed the OAG...)

When the nights get a tad longer, I might well try your 5min "litmus test" - I've been creating graphs from the Maxim guidelog in Excel, and it's quite amazing to see what tiny adjustments are mostly now being made (generally < +/- 0.15px), but an unguided 5 mins to give a visual indication would be VERY interesting to see.

IC1396... Well, I actually *may* have completed the 12 OIII panes now, but I haven't got around to processing the last 4 panes yet (work's been manic recently and it's seemed too daunting a task!). As it's now flipping around 1130, I might just see if I can get 4 (maybe 6?) SII nights on it, just to finish it off. (However, I wish I;d listened to you about the OIII...!)

And my thanks to you too AG - Very much appreciated :smiley:

I knew this would all come good in the end Andy and I am so pleased to see a posted image or two!! Now, you know I love wearing sunglasses, a permanent feature by my PC when I am processing (!!) but I *think* I prefer the second although it's a close run thing!

With regards to the MN190, don't forget you can crop the 460 down to 314L+ size and not lose any resolution at all! Apart from psychologically I don't think there'll be any difference.

How long have I banged on about PEMPro? You should have done it ages ago!! It's great that it's all coming together at last - Super job!

[sorry not to get back sooner - I've just spent an afternoon at a summer fete with 2 scopes set up for solar viewing... with only the underside of clouds to look at!]

@ Sara - Yes, it has been quite some while since I posted a fully completed image, but I was fairly happy with the way this one came out, especially as it was all captured in just 3 nights, so I thought it would be okay to post it (if nothing else than to let my "sponsor" know that her investment isn't in vain!). I do still have some tweaking to do though and will be happier when that's all sorted, but I'm pretty sure that this 460 will be here to stay... (I can't afford to buy anything bigger or the 2" filters to go with it anyway!). It is a close run thing between the two versions - I spent ages flicking between them wondering which to post... which was why I ended up posting both! You've hit the nail on the head with the "psychological" comment, but with even these being a crop, maybe I won't feel quite so bad about cropping in with the MN190... (or maybe I won't feel the need to?).

(PEMPro...? Yes, okay... Point taken... I'm old... and luddite and averse to change... but I get there in the end!)

@ Steve - Thank you :smiley:. This was taken with "normal" Baader NB filter (7-8.5nm)... I am hoping to get the budget for some 3nm Astrodon's over the next few months... but unfortunately that won't be THAT soon as my daughter has just started the 6th form and has a 3 week "enrichment" trip to Hawaii in December - My school trips were usually to the local quarry 10 miles up the road!

@Gingergeek - I'll admit that I have a soft spot for the 314L+ as it does work SO well with the MN190 - If I could have afforded it, I would have kept both, but that would have been a huge extravagance.... I suspect I'll regret it when it's gone, but I know it's going to a good home :smiley:.

@ Bob, Jessun, Iksose7 - Thanks also for your kind comments :smiley: - When it comes to NB, there's obviously no easy decision regarding what is best, as it will always be subjective. Even now I'm undecided - I think for me it depends on what the ambient lighting is like!

@ Matthew - I do so hope you're right, but there's still plenty of time for something to go wrong between now and the winter months... And knowing me, it probably will!

@ Dave - I think most of my best images have involved an "accident" of some kind... but again thank you very much for your kind words

Archived