NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Scope Ordered

Just ordered myself a Skywatcher 250PX Solid Tube from FLO. Can't wait to use it, but sorry about the clouds...

Paracorr will have to wait, I'm hoping coma isn't so bad at F/4.7, but I'll be able to get one next month if it is.

Excitement building :D.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a really good scope, you will see a massive improvement over your 6". I have just sold my 10" (as you know) and own a 6" F5 so I can tell you you're in for a treat :)

The coma never bothererd me much. You only really see it (or I did) on wide field, low mangification views which are star rich (double cluster for instance). I kept telling myself I was going to get a coma corrector but I still don't have one. I'll have to put someone elses coma corrector in my scope when I go to SGL next year and see if it actually shows any difference to my eye.

There are a range of very simple modifications you can do when you're ready to get more performance out of the scope. The first and easiest one in my opinion is flocking the tube. It costs about £20 for the flock and about an hour of your time and I swear it boosted contrast by around 25%-30%!

It's a really good scope, you will see a massive improvement over your 6". I have just sold my 10" (as you know) and own a 6" F5 so I can tell you you're in for a treat :)

The coma never bothererd me much. You only really see it (or I did) on wide field, low mangification views which are star rich (double cluster for instance). I kept telling myself I was going to get a coma corrector but I still don't have one. I'll have to put someone elses coma corrector in my scope when I go to SGL next year and see if it actually shows any difference to my eye.

There are a range of very simple modifications you can do when you're ready to get more performance out of the scope. The first and easiest one in my opinion is flocking the tube. It costs about £20 for the flock and about an hour of your time and I swear it boosted contrast by around 25%-30%!

I'm leaving flocking for now.. I didn't do a great job on my Heritage, but it did improve views a lot :).

One thing I'll have to get used to is the narrower TFOVs, I'm used to over 2 degrees mostly..

Over 2 degrees is a luxury (and I use my 150p for that). So long as you can hit 1 degree you can see pretty much everything fully except a few exceptionally large objects.

31mm Nagler T5 shows 2 degrees in this scope by the way ;)

You can actually get 2.2 degrees with a Pantoptic 41mm but with a very large exit pupil (8.7mm) comapred to the Nagler's exit pupil of 6.6 (large but acceptable)

Great stuff Jonathan, a 10" is the goldilocks aperture IMO ;)

Enjoy :)

Indeed :). Having done the measuring, I think the 10" is the largest aperture I can safely get up and down the stairs. Any bigger and the dob would have to be truss based in order to move it around safely :).

If you are used to F/5 in the heritage there should not be that a significant increase in the coma, but of course collimations tolerance will be more critical and smaller ( to attain the diffraction limited field as best as you can to maximise the coma free field). Collimate it well to get the bets out of it I would think. I must admit coma is one thing that can annoy me sometimes a little bit in certain cases, but I would still rather buy the aperture and trade in it in for a larger Coma free field any day.

Have fun, look forward to the first light report :)

Congrats on your choice - I have just bought the 250px flextube myself and found it to be fantastic. I am a newbie but the image was better than I had hoped.

Quick question though - what is a Paracorr? I've not come across that one before?

Congrats on your choice - I have just bought the 250px flextube myself and found it to be fantastic. I am a newbie but the image was better than I had hoped.

Quick question though - what is a Paracorr? I've not come across that one before?

A Coma corrector. Expensive, but they just work.

http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?id=61

Congratulations on your new scope Jonathan - 10" is a great size with real capability as well as retraining a degree of portability :smiley:

Looking at your eyepieces, they seem to be mostly 50 degre FoV so you may not find coma a significant issue for you. Wide and ultrawide eyepieces show it more as they show more of the off-axis field.

While all objects will benefit from the additional aperture, I find globular clusters mind blowing with a 10" or larger scope and darkish skies :grin:

Congratulations on your new scope Jonathan - 10" is a great size with real capability as well as retraining a degree of portability :smiley:

Looking at your eyepieces, they seem to be mostly 50 degre FoV so you may not find coma a significant issue for you. Wide and ultrawide eyepieces show it more as they show more of the off-axis field.

While all objects will benefit from the additional aperture, I find globular clusters mind blowing with a 10" or larger scope and darkish skies :grin:

The dark-ish skies are the problem at the moment. Will probably get some driving lessons again soon, so maybe in a year or two I'll be driving down to dark skies with a 10" dob in the boot :D.

EDIT: Dob base is assembled, took long enough!

The dark-ish skies are the problem at the moment. Will probably get some driving lessons again soon, so maybe in a year or two I'll be driving down to dark skies with a 10" dob in the boot :D.

EDIT: Dob base is assembled, took long enough!

Have you worked out how you are going to fit it on your bike?

Archived