Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Armed and Ready (now where do I go?)

Hi

After much debate (with my wife) I now in posession of a SW 250px flex which will hopefully have first light tomorrow night (not sure if I should announce that - clouds listen I've heard!)

I want the first outing to be memorable and want to see something spectacular. I have my views on things I want to view but thought I'd ask if you guys only had one thing you could look at through your scope what would it be?

Thanks

Agree with the above, though Saturn will be tough unless you have a very clear western horizon.

M13 is stunning at high magnification in a large scope and many of the other Messier globs are worth a look (quite a few in the night sky at the moment), M31 is always on the list, and there's the Ring Nebula and the Dumbbell.

Uranus and Neptune are viable targets at the moment and whilst Neptune isn't the most stunning of things to look at, it's part of our solar system and four and a half billion kilometres away -- three times as far as Saturn.

If you can stay up into the small hours (or set the alarm) then the Orion Nebula, Pleiades, Jupiter and Mars are yours for the asking.

James

Start with something you can see with the naked eye - it'll make it a lot easier to find with the scope. If you're viewing soon after sunset then try for Saturn, if you're viewing after midnight then look at the Moon. If your sky is dark enough for the Double Cluster to be visible then go for that. Otherwise just sweep around with a low power eyepiece and enjoy the view. If you want to hunt then M13 and the Ring nebula are excellent suggestions.

Good luck with the weather and first light - hopefully a real treat in store. Might be worth getting out early in daylight to get the scope assembled and critically the finder aligned as it can be surprisingly hard to find anything even with the 25mm EP. If this is the standard (non goto) PX, its definitely worth printing some star charts out or having a quick recce in Stellarium prior to heading out.

Ay, sound advice. Often one's 'first light' can be frustrating, so be kind on yourself. If you're at a reasonably good dark site, just sit back and check out the more prominent constellations - perhaps Cassiopeia dipping down towards Andromeda, Cygnus, Lyra, and Ursa Major watch how the Milky Way bands itself across the sky. From there - still 'naked eye' - leap the Summer Triangle.

After that, equipped with a decent Star Atlas you may want to check out a few DSOs. M57 is in Lyra, M31, 32 & 110 in Andromeda. Double Stars are always a joy and I'd suggest Almaak in Andromeda and Albireo in Cygnus. I'm sure there will be more suggestions, so I'll cut off now.

Good luck :smiley:

Archived