Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light Pollution Nightmare

OzDave

I have for some time enjoyed imaging from our country house which sits on an island, just on the outskirts of a small village. The access roads on both sides of our land have no street lights nearby to shine into the block. This has been awesome!

So the other day I discover that my father-in-law has been petitioning the local mayor (who is a family friend) to put street lights everywhere, and has been doing so without thinking if maybe that would inconvenience anybody for quite some time. Then recently, electricity trucks turned up to measure things out. Today while walking the dogs I discovered stakes knocked into the ground with conspicuous red arrows painted on the street adjacent, as if to say, PUT STREET LIGHT HERE.

It seems we will be getting a light right outside our main gate AND (as is that weren't enough), another one right on the corner of the land about 20m down.

I had been planning to build an Obsy in the middle of the land, but now it seems it will have 2 street lights no more than 10 metres away shining right down on top of it. Brilliant! Literally.

What to do? :mad: You cannot see anything in the sky at all with the naked eye when that close to a light, I've tried at night while walking the dogs. Time to sell up the kit perhaps... I'm soooo furious!

Can you not contact the mayor and ask him to change the plans? That would be easier than getting them switched off after they have been placed.

Well I'm not sure. Basically in Greece they seem to not understand the concept of a hobby. That is why you see old men sitting around in cafes all day doing nothing except playing with a string of beads (combolloy). So trying to explain to someone who has no concept of a hobby, that you need the lights not to be there because you like to take photographs of the sky at night...well it'd be a bit like explaining to a greek judge that taking photographs of aeroplanes is a hobby and you're not really a foreign spy. And we all know what happened there.

Also, I just don't think they'd buy the argument anyway. Why would they avoid putting street lights where they really should go because of one guy? If they asked neighbours, no doubt they'd all be in favour of having them. A bit like, "would you like us to fix the pot holes in the road?"....who would say no?

Total nightmare...but I guess I can see if talking to the mayor will help. Seriously doubt it though.

Dave

When you talk to the Mayor suggest that he makes it the islands dedicated dark site and how street lighting is now being seen as very uncool, explain to him how such a fine decision will have him held regard by the entire population of the worlds astronomers..

When you talk to the Mayor suggest that he makes it the islands dedicated dark site and how street lighting is now being seen as very uncool, explain to him how such a fine decision will have him held regard by the entire population of the worlds astronomers..

In a lot of places the Mayor is elected. If what he's doing has a lot of local support (and one dissenting voice) then it will get done. For a lot of rural locations, street lighting (like tarmac'd roads) is seen as a sign of modernity and progress, irrespective of whether they illuninate anything that needs it.

Plus: it'll probably increase property values.

The only question I have is: where is the money coming from? We hear about Greece's financial troubles and the needs for a further bailout. Maybe if greek councils can splurge on unnecessary lighting, things aren't really as bad as we're led to believe. Or maybe once they get the electricity bill from running the lights, they'll be off again before you can say "IMF"

I have two sodium lamps that shine into the garden and quite a few dotted around the estate here.

I can still see lots of naked eye stuff.

I have managed to build my obsy right at the bottom of the garden away from the lights.

There is still LP of course but the lights ain't going any where soon, so I will make the best of it.

The thing that irks me the most is that my father-in-law sees me go out every clear night to set up my kit and even sometimes asks me about astronomical stuff. He never goes for a walk in the dark, and neither do the neighbours. They are all in their houses doing whatever they do. If they have to go anywhere it is with a car, and guess what? Cars have headlights to show the way. So really, I just can't figure out why he thinks they would be desperately needed. I mean, you just have to walk maybe 50 metres and you're in street lit area again. Quite often the moon is also up and sheds a lot of light.

It's just nuts...I can't work out what kind of thought process he would have had to go through...probably a lot simpler one than what i'd have hoped for.

I would have thought that given the current financial state in Greece, that putting up unnecessary street lighting, with the attendant capital and running costs, would be the last thing they should be doing.

Maybe a word to the Mayor about the financial aspect and setting an example etc, might turn the tide.

I would have thought that given the current financial state in Greece, that putting up unnecessary street lighting, with the attendant capital and running costs, would be the last thing they should be doing.

Maybe a word to the Mayor about the financial aspect and setting an example etc, might turn the tide.

This was the first thought that came to me as I read the OP.

pull out the stakes, move them somewhere you want them and replant them. that or park a car over them on the day they come to do the fitting. maybe they'll do all the rest and forget to come back just to do those 2. If that doesn't work, protest - it's illegal to have street lights shining on your property I think.

pull out the stakes, move them somewhere you want them and replant them. that or park a car over them on the day they come to do the fitting. maybe they'll do all the rest and forget to come back just to do those 2. If that doesn't work, protest - it's illegal to have street lights shining on your property I think.

I thought about pulling out the stakes but the road and adjacent wall have red arrows spray painted on. So I'd have to clean that off too. Maybe that's possible. I'll have to check paint remover etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Obtain a key for accessing the termination chamber on the lamp post, then simply remove the large cartridge fuse inside (or switch the isolator to the off position if its present ) when you want to observe and replace (switch back on) when finished. :tongue:

Have you had a word to your FiL? I would be having strong words with him and tell him that if you are buddy enough with the mayor to get these things put in then you will make sure you can get the ones around you not installed.

I'd be furious, in fact I'm furious for you.

Failing that knock up a quick website, put your images up for sale and even look into a few different areas of science, comet, supernova hunting or spectroscopy.

That way if asked you can not only say you are a professional but are undertaking science as well and please can I have a grant for an observatory. I'm going to guess it wouldn't take a great deal to convince them.

Archived