Greetings.

Necro

Hello ladies and men,

First things first my name's Sam, and I'm a twenty something from Somerset. I have been meaning to invest in a telescope for a couple of months now, but being a baker means very early starts, and very early bed times, so very rarely did I have the chance to star gaze. But now with the sun setting earlier I should be able to gaze into the night sky more often.

The scope I've bought is very basic and less than £100, it's the Sky-Watcher Capricorn 70. (Actually it was looking for reviews of this scope that brought me to this site) I was assured by the shop owner that it's a very good starter scope, and good clear images can be had.

I know next to nothing about astronomy, and I am sure this site will help me get to grips with the basics, I can't wait to unpack it and get started!

Hi Sam welcome to the lounge,

you will enjoy your scope when it arrives, but as you progress

with your observing the dreaded aperture fever will take hold,

it happens to everyone.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hello Sam, seems we have few things in common already! :hello2:

I was a baker for a year when I was 18. I am new to astronomy [2 months now], and I got my new telescope 2 weeks ago, Celestron 70 travel telescope, it has same 70mm aperture size as yours... [does this mean same power, i ask you astro sages here?!] so I think we'll be viewing same-ish way?

I for haven't seen much except moon and saturn for i'm a newb still, but they look fantastic with my telescope most at 120x! Mine supports only up to 165x, but my strongest magnification I can get after 120x is 300x which is not very clear. Anyways.. welcome again!

[does this mean same power, i ask you astro sages here?!]

I'm certainly no astro sage (more like an onion, ha ha! sorry) but it depends on the focal length of the scopes. Power is focal length of primary lens/mirror (usually written on the tube) divided by focal length of the eyepiece.

e.g. Celestron 70 travel scope focal length = 400mm, with a 20mm eyepiece is 400/20 = 20. So magnification is 20 times (written as 20x). 10mm eyepiece is 400/10 = 40x

Welcome!

Archived