NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Swift 839 refractor

Just brought home a swift 839 60mm refractor, complete boxed scope, all in very good condition for a 1961 scope, i know a few people that own these and are blown away with them, rumor has it the swift company went on to become Takahashi, will post up some pics soon, but as usual will be getting some tube rings and setting it up for use with AZ4 mount

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is a couple of pics, one shows my horrible but functional method of cable tying the tube to a dovetail bar, this is temporary post-8850-0-29332700-1375815854_thumb.jp

Then a close up of the focuser, complete with 1.25 adaptorpost-8850-0-52402700-1375815883_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Found out the little swift was made the year i was born!

on another forum i have seen a picture of a swift scope ID badge, also showing TAKAHASHI, seems like the two company's were indeed linked together

Lovely refractor Jules. I wanted to buy a Swift frac in the 1960s from Charles Frank of Glasgow just did not have enough funds. I have often made a bid on eBay when they come up but have not been successful. It would be nice if you could bring it to SGL9.

ok, sounds like im going to SGL 9 lol

Here is a pic showing the TAK and Swift link i mentioned earlier

post-8850-0-19563300-1377288707_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I have found used skywatcher super trak mount for a decent price, so pulled the trigger so i will have a sensible little "driven" mount to use with the swift, wont get the mount for a couple of weeks but will do some pics when i get it, this mount should help get the best out of this tiny set up and allow a bit of lunar imaging

Hmm, SupaTrak + 1960's 60mm 'frac - an interesting blend of old and modern there! Should work beautifully though!

Cheers Ant, yes old and new but should get the best out of it, did you see the post about lens cap, i found the "pringles" lid did not fit right but a coffee creamer cap is perfect

• 2 weeks later...

Not getting much of a chance to use this little beauty, but just been out side with it for a quick look around, so much light pollution its just not worth while at home, but very good starfields with a 25mm ortho, and already had some good luna views, even though the moon was very low, these are great scopes

Archived