NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB Ports

johnb

Sorry if this is the wrong section (sure mod will move it if its in appropriate :smiley:

So my HP True Vision laptop has just 3 USB Ports one of which is used by the mouse so now im down to 2

When imaging I connect the Cannon via a single 5 metre active USB lead and there are no issues there 1 USB left

So I have another 5 metre active USB lead which has 4 ports on which I use as follows

Port 1 - Mount which I control via EQMod

Port 2 - QHY 5 for guiding

Port 3 - USB Dongle for XBox Controller

Port 4 - Electric focuser

So I guess there is a lot of data going down that USB lead, but I cant think of a better way to connect everything

The set-up does work but occasionally EQmod stops responding

Thoughts on a better way of configuring appreciated

Regards

John Berman

The DSLR will be fine on it's own line, I would suspect the usb hub on the auxiliary active usb line. It isn't handling a huge amount of data but it might need to be powered locally as you've only got 500mA of power from the single usb port? You could use an RF dongle in the hub for a wireless mouse which would release a port for the EQMod, or the QHY5 on another active lead, but I typically run the same as you with a powered hub but don't have problems with any of the hardware/software

I run the same as you and have no problems. The only difference is the camera (DSLR) and mount (EQMOD/HEQ5) have a port each, the mouse, gamepad, QHY5 are on a 4 way USB hub. My focusser is electric but is manually controlled. Most of the time there is little data travelling, its only when the camera dumps a frame to the computer that there is much activity.

A powered quality hub is always best I have found, also better quality USB leads. (normally indicated by cable thickness).

I was at one time suffering loads until I used the above, my ultimae solution was to remote control a custom built PC with lots of serial ports for anything that could be controlled via native 9 pin serial.

Im not a fan of USB, the cables are way to unreliable and not really designed for constant unplugging etc

I had a similar issue with EQMod comms dropping out when everything was connected. It turned out to be a whole system power issue whereby there was a slight input voltage drop-off and/or approaching max amps. Are you running the power supplies for the mount and the laptop off the same battery or even AC extension cable? If so, try splitting them onto their own power lines. This solved my problem straight away. I only wish i'd tried it first!

Just buy a powered hub and plug it into the end of the lead ??

You can run out of resources doing that fairly easy, especially if you are using >5m active leads. As far as I can work out, each active USB lead appears as a hub. Long active USB leads may show as more than one hub (each active lead is a one-port hub)..for instance I have some 20m leads that had a hub in the middle. The USB standard limits you to 5 "tiers" so if you are using multiple active USB leads, or plugging hubs into the end of the leads then you can hit resource problems.

Hi,

Not sure if this would suit you, but I've been using Mount Hub Pro for around 18 months, connect camera, filter wheel, auto guider, EQ Mod to it. I have had issues with performance on occasions, but overall it's worked well.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/hitecastro/hitecastro-mount-hub-pro-v3.html

Recently, on the strength of another thread on SGL, I've purchased a StarTech 7 port Powered USB 3.0 Hub. Not had chance to test this extensively yet, but initial use shows promise.

All the best, Herrman

I run two 5M active usb leads each with a 4 port powered hub. One lead/hub runs the dslr. The other has the mount, SPC900LX guidecam.

The main thing with powered hubs is to make sure you use a "very" regulated 5v supply with ample current reserve. I cant recommend one as my power supply is a modified computer PSU.

The other thing to check when using laptops is that most laptops have two separate USB controllers which are split between all the usb ports on the laptop. It is handy on my one that the two ports on the side run into each controller as do the other 2 on the back.

So I have my two usb leads plugged in so each controller in the laptop shares the bandwith.

Archived