Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

cold winter nights

texaspete1973

Hey Guys,

I didn't see a single star when I was in Las Vegas itself! It's so bright, huge and gaudy. An experience though. We spent the second half of our break in Zion National Park - a beautiful place, would highly recommend it. On the Tuesday night, we went to Bryce Canyon visitor centre for an astronomy night - 3 dobs from 12-22 inch, and a few nice refractors. Moon was up at half, but still a nice night. On the way home, after moonset, we stopped to see the Milky Way. Absolutely gorgeous - never seen anything like it. So many stars!

Oh, for truly dark skies in Barry! I have definitely put Epynt on my list for a moonless night sometime this Autumn/Winter.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Guys,

I didn't see a single star when I was in Las Vegas itself! It's so bright, huge and gaudy. An experience though. We spent the second half of our break in Zion National Park - a beautiful place, would highly recommend it. On the Tuesday night, we went to Bryce Canyon visitor centre for an astronomy night - 3 dobs from 12-22 inch, and a few nice refractors. Moon was up at half, but still a nice night. On the way home, after moonset, we stopped to see the Milky Way. Absolutely gorgeous - never seen anything like it. So many stars!

Oh, for truly dark skies in Barry! I have definitely put Epynt on my list for a moonless night sometime this Autumn/Winter.

Glad you had a great time. :smiley:

Me too. This summer has been a good one, but I am looking forward to the nights beginning to draw in and the (hopefully colder clearer nights).

On the downside, we were supposed to be having our back garden landscaped earlier this year and I was having a dedicated telescope pad built, but my friend who was landscaping it had a heart attack a few months ago, so everything is currently on hold.

We were hoping to have it done and dusted, but with my buddy falling ill has put it all on the back burner. Looks like i'll have to continue setting up on the lawn until he is better.

We never seem to get those periods of Polar Maritime airflow over the UK like wot I remember from my youth.

It could be showery and blustery and the seeing could be pants for telescopic work but between the towering cumulus the stargazing was real good.

I watched many a Gemenid meteor shower in those conditions. The sky was transparent to the horizon nearly. You just had to dodge the showers :)

Anyway, I blame Global Warming.....

Archived