SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter is back!!

Baz Pearce

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I obtained a 180 Mak Cass about 2 months ago and the views of Saturn and the Moon have been fantastic. As previously mentioned there is so much to view on Jupiter so I am really looking forward to observing the planet with the Mak Cass and the binoviewers.

You will love Jupiter with the 180 mak, looking forward to getting my 180 pointed at Jupiter

I was awake at around 4am this morning and saw it through the window. Didn't get a telescope out, much as I'd like to have done, as I was very tired. Couldn't see Mars though. I think it was obscured by clouds.

James

I could be wrong, but the JupiterMoons app shows a triple transit on 2013-10-12:

0407 - Callisto Shadow begins transit

0422 - Europa Shadow begins transit

0530 - Io Shadow begins transit

0635 - Callisto Shadow ends transit

I dunno if there's a more effective way of checking for this sort of thing, though. And I'm not sure what timezone those are in - I'd expect GMT...

This will be going in my diary too. Actually on a Saturday morning too which is very good. May be an all nighter weather permitting.

I saw it for the first time through a telescope this morning I managed to see the Galilean Moons & just about see 2 cloud bands(guess I don't get much detail due to my scopes high focal ratio)

Unfortunately my scope ended up falling on the ground. Jupiter was in an awkward position form my garden but it was until I moved to try & track the ISS(which I hadn't seen for a while) was when it fell. As it's a table top I move it with by carrying it on the table which was never been a problem before. It looked pretty bad till I had a look the eye piece flew out of the barlow & the barlow itself flew also its a scope collapsible so it collapsed in(I wonder if it took some of the impact) Fortunately the scope seems to be fine apart from a chip on the mount. Might name the scope Jumping Jupiter. Still feel upset over the babydob falling thought.

I saw it for the first time through a telescope this morning I managed to see the Galilean Moons & just about see 2 cloud bands(guess I don't get much detail due to my scopes high focal ratio)

It's probably that it wasn't that high in the sky? I normally saw 3 bands in March time, and I swear I could make out the southern equatorial belt once, but it was much closer to zenith. After opposition it did get to a point where it was soft to look at, and I could only make out 2 bands. I've also seen the Great Red Spot, though it was, at best, a salmon pink colour, and somehow I usually ended up observing when it was on the far side!

So, in short, keep watching, there's better to come!

Just managed a very quick 15 second, but also my first view of Jupiter. Cloudy as anything out there but just popped through a little gap a couple of times. Glad I know I can catch it from my spare room window now so I know where to look. Roll on tomorrow morning

• 1 month later...

Another huge fan of jupiter, so glad its coming round again.

I set the alarm for ridiculous past stupid in the morning for a try at a picture, but it was almost blue sky and still not that high up.

Anyway, i only have a webcam and 200p explorer so glad to get some kind of detail that morning :post-18772-0-74038700-1379717237_thumb.jrecn_Drizzle15_Capture 10_09_2013 05_45_20_g2_b3_ap4.tif

Regards

Aenima

Archived