Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter is back!!

Baz Pearce

Up early this morning. Went out to balcony at 4:25am and saw a faint twinkle. Grabbed the 10X50s out of the kitchen and confirmed the sighting. Down at 7 degrees altitude ENE, in the dawn twilight.

No sign of Mars nearby, but he won't be far behind the King. :)

Baz.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to Jupiter all right. I find it the most interesting and changing object in the sky. GRS, barges, moon arrangements, transits, shadows, double transits etc. Love it!

Jupiter is my favourite planet. Always something going on on the surface. I just got a new planetary camera (well, second-hand), so I will be ready and waiting when it comes closer!

My favourite as well :smiley:

I didn't get much of a chance with it when I first got my 12" dob up and running but the one or two good views I had were real appetizers for when the giant returns :grin:

I'm going to have to start sketching it I reckon, there is so much to see and it changes relatively quickly too.

Jupiter is a great target, I use to have a program to plot when the moons and thier

shadows would cross in front, was awesome to see three shadows at the same time

crossing the front of Jupiter, always a interesting target, but still to early in the morning

for me, comeon September.

Rick

Lets hope we get some proper opportunity to view it and appreciate it this year/season after last winter's cloud debacle. Really missed it last year; we only had about 5 clear nights the entire season to view it where I live last season from clocks going back.

This thread takes me back to my youth and some nice planetary groupings.

Use stellarium or somesuch to look back at the late evening sky of March 1980 as an nice egg sample.

Them were the days!

There is a triple transit in October I think. Can't recall the details off the top of my head though. Definitely something to look out for though.

I could be wrong, but the JupiterMoons app shows a triple transit on 2013-10-12:

0407 - Callisto Shadow begins transit

0422 - Europa Shadow begins transit

0530 - Io Shadow begins transit

0635 - Callisto Shadow ends transit

I dunno if there's a more effective way of checking for this sort of thing, though. And I'm not sure what timezone those are in - I'd expect GMT...

Ah. Google shows a thread mentioning:

12 Oct 2013, 4:31 UT

3 Jun 2014, 19:02 UT

24 Jan 2015, 6:27 UT

For 51 degrees north, dawn on the 12th October is 7.15am I think this is going on the calendar, if I've worked this out right.

Is there a calendar for this kind of thing somewhere?

I very much look forward to Jupiter, I have yet to see it, it has been Saturn recently but with that going, it is good Jupiter is coming soon, another planet to look forward to. Already been monitoring rising times recently and it is getting closer to that time :D Notice Mars is nearby too, need to bag that one as well :)

Third sighting this morning. This time in dark twilight, around 3:50am. While i was making a complete mess of capturing panes for a Lunar mosaic :(. This time worth broadcasting an overexposed view with Io left, and Ganymede and Callisto to the right on NightSkiesNetwork. Europa had just emerged from it's transit, but was still in the glare of the planet. Captured 1200 frames with the 70mm frac. Stacked up 500 frames with Registax 5.1.

I kept Jupiter in view live for over an hour after Sunrise, just for fun.

post-23032-0-31732100-1374832512_thumb.p

It was never going to make the APOD page. But good to get the first of the season under my belt. :)

Baz.

PS. Also got to wave at the ISS while i was capturing the Moon with large chunks missing from the stitch. No wonder MicroSoft ICE only used 3 panes :eek:!!!

Sky and telescope website have a function where it lists the transits for every day it is visible in the year. Its great. Consulted it daily, mostly as I gazed skyward at the clouds. Skysafai will tell you exactly whats happening that day also. I have found Skysafari to be an absolute boon when it comes to searching/viewing the sky. Dread to think what it would be like without it.

Barry

Can't wait till December-January where Jupiter will be closest in the year. this web site will help you show position of earth with other planets. http://www.theplanetstoday.com/

It is a live web site, you can fast-forward and check for future earth-planet line up. At the wnd of Agust, Neptune will be lined up with earth, but I guess it'll be really faint in our scopes :p

Archived