Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

hello SGL

high25

Hello everyone, my names Andy, i live in leicester and ive been stargazing for umm..... no more than 6 months.

So im fairly new at it and still getting to grips with things, and although i have owned a telescope for the duration it was at first a very shakey "far vision" 76mm reflector. I use this for the first month and a half and viewed the moon and stars as best i could.

The more i learned the more i knew i needed and wanted a larger telescope, so i ended up buying my 8" reflector at the begining of last month.

Things are going along great and ive had some good nights viewing, and some frustrating nights not ! :embarassed:

Ive read through alot here b4 posting, and im sure this will continue along with my learning with the help of those far more experienced than myself.

Thanks for reading, and i look forward to talking to you all :icon_jokercolor:

Andrew.

Well thanks for the great welcome fellas, and in reply to those with 8" reflectors, mine is the Celestron C8-N cg-5 combo.

I must admit that when i got it up and running i was unhappy with the mount, it was stiff poorly lubricated and needed attention ! i stripped down the whole mount, smoothed and polished all of the bearing surfaces cleaned all the nasty factory grease off with white spirit, and rebuilt it all using lithium grease.

She moves on both axis now with a feather touch, and very smooth now when unlocked, also the slow motion controls are alot better :icon_jokercolor: even when its freezing and below !

If anyone wants to catch up with what i did, i will be happy to go over it with you.

Note - if u do anything like this your warranty will be invalid ! i work with mechanical and electro mechanical equiptment with close fitting parts.

Thanks again, Andy.

Archived