Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 7635 - Bubble Nebula 3 hrs Ha

x6gas

I've been playing with my new focal reducer and lost quite a bit of valuable imaging time, but this is 3 hours worth of Ha in 600s subs binned 2x2.

Just a quick stretch and for an object with quite a high dynamic range I need to work a bit more to give it some "pop" - looks a bit flat to me, but I am pleased with the detail coming through...

gallery_11821_2457_267829.png

Thanks, Ian

Holy Moly Ian - The size of that bubble is fantastic!! And there's nice detail there too. Just one thing, at about 4-5 o'Clock under the bubble at the edge of the nebulosity there's an odd circle. Is that some sort of processing artifact?

Great shot and i love the way you kept the detail quite sharp.

As sara said there does seem to be a strange circle in there by the lower right...wonder where thats come from?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

That's a great shot Ian ,

Love all the clouds of gas in the background .

Thanks Steve! The data is good so I was able to stretch it relatively hard without blowing out the bright parts too much, but it will benefit from some HDR blending...

Holy Moly Ian - The size of that bubble is fantastic!! And there's nice detail there too. Just one thing, at about 4-5 o'Clock under the bubble at the edge of the nebulosity there's an odd circle. Is that some sort of processing artifact?

Thanks Sara - and well spotted!

Great shot and i love the way you kept the detail quite sharp. As sara said there does seem to be a strange circle in there by the lower right...wonder where thats come from? Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Neil.

Yes there is indeed a processing artifact. It arises from my fat fingers accidentally painting a circle on the image at some point and not noticing! Was in a bit of a rush to post before going to work! This is quite typical of my "Mr Bean" attempts to image this object - I've made a number of gaffs including leaving the dew shield off of the scope which meant the corrector plate dewed up after an hour on Sunday night (and I think might be responsible for the halo around HIP 115198).

How about this one:

gallery_11821_2457_66510.png

Quick processing or not, that image has captured some awesome detail inside the bubble.

I can't wit to see the fully processed version.

Dave.

Cheers Dave. I have a few RGB subs from the weekend, but I had the spacing of the reducer wrong at that point, and I have captured some OIII but will need more, I think and then I'll see what I can do bi-colour.

Anyone have a view on whether it is worth grabbing SII on the Bubble? My hunch is that I'd be better with a synthetic third channel...

Cracking image, which camera did you use for that?

Cheers Neil... and apologies I usually include a kit list but was in a bit of a hurry this morning:

Scope: 11" EdgeHD @f/7 w/ Celestron 0.7 reducer

Camera: Atik 490 ex, binned 2x2, 2" Baader Ha 7nm filter

Mount: CGEM DX

Guiding: Atik OAG, QHY IMG0H, PHD ~ 0.6 rms

Ian

I don't mind at all Francis, but personally that's a little harsh for my taste. I probably could do with tweaking the contrast or levels a little, but I am trying to learn from previous experience and not over-process things. But I'd be really interested to hear what people think...

Great details Ian,

Nicely processed, you never stop to enjoy this target.

Mark

I quite agree Mark. I've been after this for 12 months and I have to say that for some reason it's thrown up any number of problems but I finally feel that I am getting there with it. I hope to have 9 hours worth of narrowband by the end of the week... and maybe some RGB too...

I like a little extra contrast, but find Francis' edit just a little too much for me. If you can get it between the two I reckon that's it!!! Honestly though, it's so subjective.

You're right on both counts as far as I am concerned Sara - it is subjective, but this could do with a bit more contrast. I seem to be massively conservative as far as processing goes just at the moment. Still learning - and so the comments and encouragement really help - but I will one day hit that happy medium!

Lovely bubbly :)

Ha, ha! Yes indeed Gina. The data here is, I think, the best I've ever captured so with some careful processing I have high hopes!

Lovely image Ian, the matching of your 11" SCT to the 490 has brought out some lovely delicate details in there.

Martin

Thanks Martin - you're a star- no pun intended! Yes, the 490 binned 2x2 gives a nice result. I've posted a downscaled version here, but the full resolution looks good. It is oversampled at ~0.8" per pixel but I think between 0.8" and 1.2" per pixel is about right for my seeing, following Nyquist to hit a x2 sampling rate...

I'd also captured some 300s subs so I've combined 11 x 300s subs with 23 x 600s for a total integration time of 4 hours and 35 minutes and put a bit more effort into the processing to remove the halos around the brighter stars and sharpen the bubble up a bit.

Unfortunately I discovered last night that the scope is quite a way off perfect collimation which I think explains the poor star shape top left. GrrrrR!

gallery_11821_2650_261753.png

Full size version here.

Ian

That is amazing. I don't recall seeing so much detail in the actual bubble. :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Dave

Thanks Dave. I can't get the same detail in the colour image, that's for sure!

Archived