Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Permission Granted but...

Earl

The landlord has given me permission to erect a shed style obsy.

However i cant use a permanent base so no concrete.

Is it possible to use slabs for a base with just sand, and drop a large concrete block into place with hooks to lift it out so it can be removed at a later date?

Or is there a better way of doing it?

For something fairly easy to remove you could perhaps put four or five 12" concrete slabs on top of each other, the top one being at ground level, and then bolt a pier through them.

James

My second, outside pier is constructed so that the concrete block and pier flange bolts are 2" below ground level. You could make it so that remains are easy to hide.......

i'd say this one too.

should you move out Earl he'd be none the wiser.

• 3 weeks later...

Another method I've seen, which I'm considering myself, for a pier is to get some short lengths of plastic tubing, say 40cn long and maybe 15cm wide. Sink them into the ground in a triangle formation and fill with concrete. Arrange it so that you can bolt a pier to these. The concrete plugs should pretty easily removable should you need to.

I've seen this posted in SGL just dont recall who it was to give credit.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used 75mm square timber posts set in fence spikes I used 8 of them and formed a timber decking type structure which the obs is sat on.

post-642-137327747505_thumb.jpg

post-642-137327749797_thumb.jpghttps://www.dropbox....s Animation.m4vpost-642-137327765785_thumb.jpg

I liked this idea when considering my own observatory build. In addition to having a low impact it also simplifies the build if the site is not level. I used a decking kit to build my observatory on: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/168972-yet-another-observatory-build-thread/

Plus you can do the build in stages as the funds allow.

I did my build in the following stages

Summer 2009

Prepared the ground with compacted stone, root barrier and gravel topping and built the pier. This exhausted my funds but I had a useable pier for use during the winter

Summer 2010

Built the deck ready to receive the obs at a later date.

Late summer 2011

Finally had the funds and the time to build the obs.

Doing the build in stages like this let me spread the cost a bit, but left me with a useable set up between each stage.

Darren

Archived