Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

that extra aperture ...

there's no problem with people disagreeing at all. I'm almost famous on here for being 'dobsessed' and unlike many I just don't get on with fracs no matter how good they are. do everything with a smile on your face and the world's a better place. in this case though the 'scope you'll use most with least effort' will always apply and be different for each user - this means more companies and products supported by more buyers and more variety on the market - and more used scopes and gear available to us that are 'too tight' to buy new :grin:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Olly over the long FL comment. I had a C11 which is a lovely scope for sure. Fabulous on plantets, the moon and specific DSO's. But I found the FoV too restrictive for me personally and I kn ow many say the same. I love the views from my 12" Dob MUCH better.

Sorry - it was not disagreement as such, but just passing thought. :)

I am only a beginner so learning a lot, but these thoughts and feelings I have - i just want to tell it, and see how others feel and think about it - and this is one of my ways of learning.

I seem like all types of scopes and mounts, and all sizes of them as well. Actually one of my favourite scopes is 50mm Tasco refractor from 1960s. But they all good, all have merits, weaknesses and strength, I feel.

clear skies to all.

When I was writing that I was pretty much considering what starters are likely to buy, probably a sky-watcher or something similar. Of course I don't know for sure not having owned a bigger scope such as a 12 inch, but I know the weight and size of it, and my own scope I can pick up in one hand, I'd only consider the latter to be really grab and go, but I am no popeye :) I would not have wanted a scope that I need to collimate pretty much every time starting out as well ... personally.

Just a hunch but I suspect the more seasoned observers such as yourself are always more likely to suggest something bigger when you have invested so much time and effort already, the same with eyepieces when you read that forum, how people often consider only the expensive when they have been at it for a while, whereas for me the new BST is basically more than adequate as far as I can see for a long time to come, I am stoked with it :) and can't see myself wanting something more.

In the end of the day it is all about how much spare cash you have and are willing to invest as well I guess. I Just fear that for many newcomers even if you did have the cash, digging too deep too soon is not necessarily the best way to start versus the risk of getting frustrated with the hobby given the technicalities that come with a bigger scope.

My two cents, from a non expert I hasten to add :)

I think broadly we are all saying the same thing really. buy the scope you can carry with relatively little effort, to the place you'll observe from most. if this is a mile hike down a country lane, your requirement will be different to someone carrying it from the garage 10 yards to the garden. big effort gets boring after a while.

in terms of eyepieces, I admit to recommending Televue almost without exception. the reasons for this is that as someone once said on the forum - I am not relatively well off so can only afford to buy quality. or another way with quality it only hurts once. you can buy TV eyepieces at between £40 and £800.

We have all I imagine when new to to an interest been guilty of buying whats shiny in the hope of vast improvement but astronomy more than most is a learning discipline thus it takes time and dicipline to get the most out of it. The time to upgrade is when you can see the limits of your equipment I have done the incremental upgrading ie; buying slightly better and it works fine but I have found like Shane that it can be a false economy. I only have a few eyepieces and they cost a lot but I will never upgrade these because frankly there is nothing better that I will ever be in a position to afford. Ulimately it is more cost effective to get the best The televues and pentax I have will never be sold at a loss because they can't be upgraded they are best in class

Guys,

Your discussion has been fascinating, thanks for having it around the question I asked.

I am of the mind that quality (subjective) is something I'd try and strive for and wouldn't imagine a gentle trop up the new improved kit scale as my interest grew.

My room is on the top floor at the back of a house pretty high in the city. From my window I have a stunning view below me over a side of the city (north) and very little close by light polution except a good few floors below me. Also there is a garden which is extremly well sheltered from any direct light polution. I know its still a city.

I have visions in my mind of being able to use the scope from my window (yeah yeah, I know, but this way I can use it every day without moving it). I also envisage dragging it to the garden for a better all round view).

My perhaps odd logic is that I can learn the sky from the narrow band I have from my window (I know nothing of the sky at the moment). Also, with a Flex dob, I should be able to get it into my small/medium four door car (hatchback).

One reason why I'm curious (and pretty interested) in something large is that I want to be blown away. I may not get the chance to spend money too often on scopes and related gear and would use what I got for a while.

I have a couple of DSLR cameras and recently bought a compact in order to have something with me all the time so I understand the argument about portability but I'd struggle to only own my smallest camera as I know what my Canon 1 series and big heavy lenses can give me. Whilst they may be a pain theyre a necessary evil.

Thanks again

Whatever you buy I'd strongly recommend making it something you can get out of the house and at least into the garden relatively easily. Viewing from a window is really not conducive to seeing things well. The heat that comes from your room and the rest of the house will take a heavy toll on the clarity and resolution of the views you get.

And don't get two stressed over the decision. Buy something second hand...astro buy and sell is a good place...and you can then sell it on if you want something bigger and you have not lost a lot of money..

Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I'm still very much in the umming and arring stage and on a steep learning curve. One day i'm certain that i should go this way, then the next day i think instead that i should go that way.

So, if you'd be so kind, todays conundrum. ..

A 12" newton gives me more mount options for sure, but all portability issues aside, I'm wondering what a 16" dob would give me over a 12" newton. I'm really wondering about what extra 'reach' (?) the extra aperture delivers. very grateful, thx

If it's possible depending on your location the best tip I could give you is go and take a look at the scopes 1st at either a local shop or club & before you purchase think about storage for when its not in use (with our weather in the UK that could be a great deal of time).

No point having the best scope money can buy if you dont have the space to store it when its not in use.

Just received my Skywatcher 250px today & they are big beasts ....

If it's possible depending on your location the best tip I could give you is go and take a look at the scopes 1st at either a local shop or club & before you purchase think about storage for when its not in use (with our weather in the UK that could be a great deal of time).No point having the best scope money can buy if you dont have the space to store it when its not in use. Just received my Skywatcher 250px today & they are big beasts ....

The post you're quoting is from July 2013 so the poster has probably made a decision now. That said your advice is still prudent to anyone facing a similar decision :)

The post you're quoting is from July 2013 so the poster has probably made a decision now. That said your advice is still prudent to anyone facing a similar decision :)

Test complete. Just making sure mod's are awake :rolleyes:

Archived