Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do you get three Dobsonians in one office?

Moonshane

Like this! Here's my three scopes sitting ready for their next use but sound asleep. 6" f11 to the left, 12" f4 on the foreground and 16" f4 snuggled in behind. there's even space for my wife's desk behind me :grin: Dobs have such a small footprint that it would be a shame to waste the floorspace with less scopes.

post-5119-0-35195800-1372099164_thumb.jp

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lovely set of Daleks they are too :-). I do like the way they are all basically the same design and co-ordinated.

Just to pass the time because its cloudy...... Shane, how do you decide which one to use? Is there much difference in cool down time between 12" and 16"? When would you use the 6" for example?

Cheers,

Stu

Lovely set of Daleks they are too :-). I do like the way they are all basically the same design and co-ordinated.

Just to pass the time because its cloudy...... Shane, how do you decide which one to use? Is there much difference in cool down time between 12" and 16"? When would you use the 6" for example?

Cheers,

Stu

Hi Stu

Since I got my 12" ready for use I have to say it's been the most used scope. it's small and light and cools down really quite quickly. I can observe at lowest power after about 10 mins and highest power after about 20 mins (although will be a bit longer in winter I expect). the 16" takes substantially longer but is still my preferred scope when I can put it out early enough.

the 6" is my solar scope or for when I want to do some high power viewing of doubles etc as it's on an eq platform and tracks well. it's also nice to get a different perspective too as it gives a different feel to observing.

Sounds good, you've got all bases covered. Surprising that the 12" cools down so quickly, really good.

I know what your mean about different types of observing. In a very different way I get similar pleasure from my various refractors and the mak. Different feel to all of them.

I wonder what a solar filter over the 170mm aperture on the 16" would be like? Wonder if it would be much different to the 6"?

Gosh I wish this cloud would clear ;-). Mind you tomorrow and Wednesday look faintly promising.

Stu

I know what your mean about different types of observing. In a very different way I get similar pleasure from my various refractors and the mak. Different feel to all of them.

Sorry to hijack, but how do you choose Stu?

Sounds good, you've got all bases covered. Surprising that the 12" cools down so quickly, really good.

I wonder what a solar filter over the 170mm aperture on the 16" would be like? Wonder if it would be much different to the 6"?

Gosh I wish this cloud would clear ;-). Mind you tomorrow and Wednesday look faintly promising.

Stu

I'm wondering what the solar views would be like through a 16" solar filter :Envy: :Envy:. I suspect that would push the seeing into unusable territory though..

Stu

I don't think it would be that different to be honest. I use a full aperture filter on the 6" and the secondary is only small (2.7% by area and 16.7% by diameter).

Sorry to hijack, but how do you choose Stu?

Hope Shane doesn't mind :-)

To be honest, it's usually a convenience thing. In order of ease of use its the TV76 on mini giro, Astrotech 106 on Giro II/EQ6, then the Mak/Sphinx mount which takes much more effort to setup and far longer to cool (1 hour plus).

So it depends how long I've got and how much energy I've got, often not much at the moment.

I also play around with the Carton 60 when I fancy a change, very quick to set up and totally different again. Still got some tweaking to do with the lens but nearly sorted.

Will have one more go convincing Shane about refractors with the AT106 and 21mm Ethos, if that doesn't work, I'll give him up as a lost cause :-). Might need an 8ft high tripod though which could be a challenge!!

My apologies Shane :-), your thread now.

Stu

No probs. On thinking further, there's slightly more to it than that I guess.

The TV76 is my grab and go, travel scope, goes everywhere and shows me everything from widefield to credible planetary images (up to x160 ish)

The AT106 is wonderful on open clusters and widefield targets. I've seen the entire Veil Nebula at a dark site with OIII filter with a 31t5 Nagler giving 3.7 degree fov. Andromeda also lovely in this fov if dark enough.

The Mak is a glob eater and planetary/lunar scope really. Max fov is around 0.6 degrees so it copes with small bright DSOs but nothing big! When on song it has lovely contrast and gives fabulous views, but it can be tetchy, and as Shane knows, can completely dew up inside and out! Have been working on solutions for this.

Horses for courses as they say.

I very much admire Shane's collection which has been built up with much thought and consideration. I would love a big 16" dob at some point but know is not the time from a finance and storage point of view.

Last point. Shane, you have Laurel and Hardy, does the 12" have a name yet?

Stu

Archived