Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Moon - 20 stacked vs 2000

Hi everyone!

I reprocessed my photos - stacking a LOT more, and I thought I'd show a comparison.

The photos were taken from the same video of Copernicus, which was about 10,000 frames.

The first time I stacked it, I used just 20 frames, but I decided to try 2,000. It made a massive difference.

The morel of the story - don't use too few!

David

post-29419-0-99990000-1371392778_thumb.p

post-29419-0-24642200-1371392794_thumb.p

Hi

Both images look really dark on my monitor and I couldn't see the difference (what do I know, some people probably think my images are too bright) - probably a monitor callibration difference

Just so that I could see the difference I did a diff in pixinsight and exported the pic (this is the big stack image - small stack image), I can see the difference clearly now (may look bright on your monitor but looks clear on mine ;-)

post-9935-0-02056500-1371495429_thumb.pn

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I reprocessed my photos - stacking a LOT more, and I thought I'd show a comparison.

The photos were taken from the same video of Copernicus, which was about 10,000 frames.

The first time I stacked it, I used just 20 frames, but I decided to try 2,000. It made a massive difference.

The morel of the story - don't use too few!

David

Although I agree with your conclusions, I do not think your example is a very good one as the second image has clearly got several misaligned frames in it. I think you would need to sort this out for the comparison to be meaningful.

Cheers,

Chris

Do you think, that sometimes, you can stack

to many frames ?.

It is a case of diminishing returns as you add more frames. I guess there's a point where any improvement in signal to noise ratio is too small to show up.

James

It is a case of diminishing returns as you add more frames. I guess there's a point where any improvement in signal to noise ratio is too small to show up.

James

Yeah, I guess the amount of frames you use depends on how many frames you have, and how much you want to wavelet the image. With 2,000 frames, I can pretty much max it out

Archived