To DSLR or not to DSLR is this a question?

razvans

I just plunged into astrophotography by photographing moon with my DSLR (Canon7d with 100-400L) Then being a little dissapointed I started adding extenders + 2x and then another +2x. I was finding that although I have a sturdy carbon fiber (chinese) tripod the moon was not very easy to focus - some pesky waves were troubling my image and the focus (manual of course) was so difficult. To top it all she was moving all the time out of the frame.

So, annoying moments - but some decent pictures also.

As a result I decided to buy myself some telephoto lens - I was thinking of buying some - FD 600mm L or FD 800mmL and convert it to EOS. The price for this is not very low and wile searching the net I found out that there are other means to that end ! A telescope ! It lacks (unfortunately) the fast autofocus of Canon lens but apparently you can use it to take photos of the moon !!!

So I bought a Celestron C8 XLT GT (EQ5?) goto mount and start taking photos with my DSLR.

Than I found out that the earth is not the center of the universe and that some other guys have discovered other planets in the region - it is recent I think for they have not decided yet how many there are - 8 or 9 I think.

No problem - we diversify our options - I'll take the planets photo also.

But here come my troubles: I found out (here in this forum ) that my DSLR, while not (yet) obsolete, is no good for planetary photography. Now this is a disappointment. So more time passes and I buy a spc900 and an toucam pro 740 (I won both simultaneous on e-bay)

Now I found out that the SPC or toucam I will have to electronically modify to use "long exposure and other interesting functions).

I already used that SPC900 to take a photo of Saturn - did you know that it has rings around it? Most amazing.

post-30375-0-52555500-1370295762_thumb.j

I wonder how much can it cost to pay a visit, take a walk on them rings?

And to think that all I wanted was to photograph that moon ...

Welcome to SGL.

DSLRs are not ideal for planetary imaging, but some people have produced reasonable images with the newer models recently. If you have the SPC900 already though, that will be much easier with the C6. For planetary imaging you don't need any electronic modification of the SPC900. You just need to add a nosepiece.

The C6 should also be good for imaging the Moon with the DSLR. The "wobbling" of the image is perfectly normal -- it's the effect the atmosphere has, distorting the light. What you really need to do is to take lots of images and "stack" them. This might help you on your way:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/184192-full-disc-lunar-imaging-with-a-dslr/

James

Bonjour and welcome to the forum. Entertaining first post! And thanks for making sure I divert my money to a good webcam for my AP endeavours, let me know how Jupiter is as it seems like you intend to sojourn there ;)

Archived