Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepices for Omno XLT 120

Hi, my new scope should arrive in the next couple of days. It comes with a 25mm eyepiece and I have ordered a Revelation 2.5x barlow. I already have the stock 20mm and 10mm that came with my Travelscope 70 but I don't think they (particularly the 10mm) are very good.

I'm thinking of buying a couple of BST Explorer eyepieces, perhaps 12mm and 24 and have been trying to get my head around the combinations of those 2 with the barlow! Alternatively I wondered about an 8-24mm zoom but that would leave me without anything offering wide views and I don't know about it working well when barlowed.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts!

Do you have a 2" diagonal for the scope ?

That would enable you to use both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces. The latter can give you a wider view due to their larger diameter barrels.

Many folks end up with a mix of 1.25" and one or two 2" eyepieces.

Personally I'd not go for a 56mm eyepiece - a 40mm 2" wide field like the Skywatcher Aero ED will show as wide a field of view and the background sky will look darker because of the higher magnification.

Do you have a budget in mind ? - even mid range eyepieces can quickly add up to more than the scope cost !

when I had this scope I found that the high power sweet spot for most sessions was at 8mm (125x). I had the BSTs with that scope and they worked very well. if you have a 2x barlow then I'd suggest that you would get most use from a 8mm BST which would work very well on its own and also a 12mm which would work well on its own but also would barlow to 6mm and with your 25mm giving you overall magnifications of

167 125 83 40

The BST's are very good, but on the two you mention you would be doubling up if you Barlowed. The 24mm you mention is actually a 25mm, so this would give you 12.5mm when Barlowed, much too close to the 12mm. I go with the suggestion of an 18mm and a 12mm. For low power I suggest a 32mm Plossl, the TV if you can afford it, if not a GSO or one of its incarnations.

Cheers for the advice. I believe the Revelation barlow to be 2.5x not 2x which would not quite mean me doubling up - that was my thinking anyway and I felt the 24mm BST would be reasonable for wider views. I thought a 32mm plossl wouldn't give very wide views?

I take your point about the 18mm though: that would also give me a useful magnification barlowed and the 12 with the barlow would be probably the maximum I could use in the very best conditions?

A 32mm plossl, though 'only' 50 degrees, should give you good clear views. The 12mm barlowed would give you 166x, a perfectly achievable mag on your telescope, I use 150x on my C100ED with ease on planets (with a 6mm WO SPL).

As above the 18mm bst is great, an 8mm bst is also good and as moonshane commented an 8mm is very often used. The only other one I love is a 35mm orion ultrascopic these are not easy to get nowadays but the parks gold 35mm and the eudoscopic are the same eyepiece. They allow the largest possible field of view from a 1.25 eyepiece, 49FOV at 35mm. In fact the orion works well in all my scopes and is a pleasure to use. The orion would give 29x (1000mm fl) and show 1.72 degrees of sky with an exit pupil of 4.13mm.

Thanks for all your help. I am going to order the 12mm, first, then go for the 18 and 32 later. Gives me chance to see what I get most use out of and build up one a month. It will also give me chance to see whether thisRevelation barlow is 2.5x as it says or nearer 2x as some reports hint.

Hang on - think there's a knock at the door!

Scope arrived yesterday, together with wet and windy weather. Spent some time learning how to set it up and looking through the window over the fields. Today I think I may have just managed to get my head around celestial coordinates and setting circles so I am sure it is not time wasted. Will post a first light report when the skies clear.

Archived