NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Zoom Eyepieces

Historically zoom eyepieces had a bad reputation in comparison to their fixed focal length cousins but in the modern era, the quality versions can more than hold their own. I use a Televue Nagler Zoom 3-6mm, especially when travelling as it gives me 4 eyepieces in one, which when travelling massively saves on the weight of equipment carried. As well as that advantage, when studying the planets, the zoom provides you will the flexibility to tune your magnification to the atmospheric conditions. My biggest complaint is the in a world of wide angle EPs, the narrow field of view (50 degree apparent) can feel a little claustrophobic. But as far as performance in sharpness and lack of light scatter, their are few fixed focal length EPs that can beat it.

Now the biggest problem is that the Nagler Zoom is £340.

Can you give us an indication of your budget so we can better recommend EPs?

if you are on a strict budget and you are not willing to spend a lot on Ep`s,then Hyperion Zoom mark 3 is a great EP. i had it and used it on 10" dob and was very happy until i decided that i want the super wide views of 82 degrees.....

Hyperion Zoom had and still has a very prise reviews and a lot of people use this EP and are very happy.There is a thread in SL about it.Read it up.

Clear skies.

I have one and I think its great :smiley:

Mine is not quite as good as a my fixed eyepieces but its hardly noticeable. I would reccomend for ease of use alone :smiley:

A Hyperion zoom eyepiece will cost around £189. The Skywatcher 7 - 21 or 8 - 24 costs around £40. I use the 7 - 21 and it works well. The advantage of a zoom eyepiece like this, especially for beginners, is that it gives you 5 eyepieces 7, 9, 11, 15 and 21mm and enables you to learn what is best for particular objects and conditions. You can then buy better quality single eyepieces of whatever length you wish. Having said that I got a quality 15mm Televue and there is no discernible difference between that and the zoom 15mm. Indeed, I think that might be better.

I've started with a 7-21mm zoom eyepiece. The biggest problem is that the fielf of view at 21mm is so narrow, it shows little more then when zooming into perhaps ~10mm. For it's price you can get 2 decent eyepieces...

I agree with the whole change-eyepieces-in-the-dark thing. But usualy 3 eyepieces will be sufficient, and that's managable, especialyl if you have a eyepiece holder on your tripod/dobson mount.

I have a Astrozoom, it holds a HR Planetary eyepiece and changes the distance between the ep and it's barlow element. Cheap method of creating a quality zoom eyepiece :-)

But it really boils down to your budget and preference. Three or two good wide angle eyepieces and perhaps a decent barlow can be a decent solution too, while costing less then one of the better zooms.

I bought the Hyperion zoom bundle from FLO a couple of months back.

With the Baader zoom barlow as well I got 10 eyepieces in one. Well two because you have to take the barlow off to get the low mags.

I've been very pleased and even took a few shots with my camera using the Hyperion adapter I bought at the same time :grin:

The choice worked for me as it gave me access to a whole load of mags for not much money (£27 per eyepiece equivalent)

i had all good intentions of a simple set up of a zoom eyepiece. however although the mkIII hyperion i had was quite a good bit of kit,i didnt enjoy the low power end. it gave quite a narrow view.

i can understand though why some would like a zoom, good for traveling light . i did like the fact that with my dob i could find an object ,then adjust the mag without changing e/p's , and get the optimal setting for the target.

I also have the Mk111 Hyperion Zoom with the 2.25 Barlow. I use it with my10" F5 dob for lunar, planetary and globular cluster viewing or anything that requires a medium to high power eyepiece and have found it to be an excellent piece of kit. It's not so good for objects that require lower power magnification though (Orion Nebula, Veil Nebula, Andromeda etc etc..) as it has quite a narrow field of view.

I'm very pleased with mine and it is almost always used in an evenings/nights viewing.

Luke

Archived