Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BGO 7mm & 9mm available

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last thing I bought was my Vixen 7mm LV which I've only had the time to test once :rolleyes:. By 3:00pm today, I'll be done with University though :grin:.

Whilst we're on the subject of Orthos, does anyone have any experience of the Antares HD Orthos? There's a 7mm on ABS at the moment for £50.

I believe the Antares offerings were cheap alternatives to BGOs back in the day. I dont know how they perform, that's about the only fact I know about antares and I read it somewhere other than SGL so it may not even be a fact.

what a useless response..

Make sure you read the direct comparison between the two which is in a link off that CN post. It suggests the UO has slightly better scatter control and contrast but they are both very good.

Stu

I believe the Antares offerings were cheap alternatives to BGOs back in the day. I dont know how they perform, that's about the only fact I know about antares and I read it somewhere other than SGL so it may not even be a fact.

what a useless response..

The ones with the orange engraving are pretty good but their coatings are not quite as good as the Baader GO's or University HD orthos. The ones with the green and white markings seem to have better coatings and match the Baader and UO offerings.

I think that reading between the lines in John's earlier post and without wishing to pre-empt his review; He's already confirmed there is as good as no difference between the old master and the new pretender.

Russell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I went for the same 18mm BGO my self but was put off when asked to pay post , that for me was enough, it's not the money.

That said how do memebers feel about paying over the odds if it were for say a 5mm XO or a Zeiss orthoscopic or something else that is a bit rare. My opinion is these are a different ball game all together and the high price reflects the rarity that they ever come up for sale. For me there is a difference between this and the BGO where in the most part it is just greed, I am sure there are more BGO's than say Pentax XO's. I mean they don't make most Radians any longer, without doubt a very fine eyepiece but you don't see them being advertised for 250 pounds.

Members opinions

I went for the same 18mm BGO my self but was put off when asked to pay post , that for me was enough, it's not the money.

That said how do memebers feel about paying over the odds if it were for say a 5mm XO or a Zeiss orthoscopic or something else that is a bit rare. My opinion is these are a different ball game all together and the high price reflects the rarity that they ever come up for sale. For me there is a difference between this and the BGO where in the most part it is just greed, I am sure there are more BGO's than say Pentax XO's. I mean they don't make most Radians any longer, without doubt a very fine eyepiece but you don't see them being advertised for 250 pounds.

Members opinions

hi alan, the lady said i could have it for £95 plus p+p i asked her why she was selling it above the new price and she said its the going rate, so i didnt buy it like you out of principal.wish i had now

I see that a couple of TAL barlows have gone on UK Astro Buy & Sell for £100 the pair. They were £35 each when you could buy them new weren't they ?

They are sale pending now too.

Yet other stuff which is out of production, such as Celestron Ultima eyepieces, which were as good if not a wee bit better than Tele Vue plossls, stuggle to sell for 40% of their original purchase price :undecided:

It's still available.... But it's only the going rate....if they are going at that rate..... which they are generally not!!!

Stu

are you sure thought it sold, still have the email address of the lady

Still 18mm BGOs in Spain. I think they're going for around €98 a piece. I have the range from 5mm to 9mm but really questioned whether it was worth that amount (a year ago you could pick them up new in Spain for €78).

I mean, secondhand you can pick up a cheaper 15mm or 20mm TVP. For twice that asking price - meaning you just save twice as long which surely isn't a great hardship - you can buy a brand new TV Panoptic 19mm which on the secondhand market go for about the same price as a secondhand Radian 18mm - about €150.

I agree that a case of black and green is a beautiful thing to behold, but from where I'm sitting, It doesn't make much sense buying that black and green in the form of the 18mm BGO :icon_scratch:

I see that a couple of TAL barlows have gone on UK Astro Buy & Sell for £100 the pair. They were £35 each when you could buy them new weren't they ?

They are sale pending now too.

Yet other stuff which is out of production, such as Celestron Ultima eyepieces, which were as good if not a wee bit better than Tele Vue plossls, stuggle to sell for 40% of their original purchase price :undecided:

I saw that sale pending at £100 and even for two, you've got to start thinking about the barlows/telecentrics that can buy, even new. I played with one briefly and wasn't that fussed. Sure it was good for £35, but the important bit about that statement was £35....

It's web powered herd mentallity, underpinned by wilfully selective understanding - A typical internet driven phenomenon. 'Best barlow for £30' gets repeated adinfinitum, en mass, even by those who've never owned one. Selective reading imbues it with some sort of super power, which begats 'best barlow ever' status - People want to believe they can have the best for a fraction of the price and the legend builds. Panic ensues when they stop making them, translating into a sellers market.

It's like a microcosm of Darwinism. If someone is daft enough to pay that much - let them. They won't be competing against me for something actually worth £100!

Russell

Archived