Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BGO 7mm & 9mm available

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there were a 3mm and John is correct would anyone be able to use it. It must be getting to a point where it will almost be easier putting in a contact lens eyepiece, not that I have ever tried that, or fancy doing it.

Alan.

I find 3mm eyepieces give me issues with floater visibility so I don't use that focal length much at all. A 7mm BGO with the Baader Q-Turret 2.25x barlow does a pretty good impression of a 3.1mm ortho with the benefit of around 7-8mm eye relief (estimated).

The nag zoom is one of my most used eps for high mags on my refractors. I rarely use the 3mm setting, somewhere between 3 and 4mm normally gives best results so I am now using my new to me 3.5t6 quite a lot.

Stu

John,

When we talk about very short F/L eyepieces like 3mm and less and having problems with floaters in the eye , do you not get this so much when we Barlow / Powermate to the same F/L. This is something I don't believe I have seen but then my shortest EP is the 4mm Radian, and I don't see floaters in this, at least not so far.

Alan.

John,

When we talk about very short F/L eyepieces like 3mm and less and having problems with floaters in the eye , do you not get this so much when we Barlow / Powermate to the same F/L. This is something I don't believe I have seen but then my shortest EP is the 4mm Radian, and I don't see floaters in this, at least not so far.

Alan.

hi alan. with a answer to your first question to me, i would consider the new orthos but if i could get a good bgo for the same price then i would, does that make sence. and the answer to your last question on amplifiers the meade 5000 series telextenders and power mates do not alter eyerelief at all they litraly just amplifie the image, very strange to use at first but great pieces of kit

I would not expect it to be any different between a barlowed/powermated or just straight ep, if the exit pupil is small enough you risk seeing floaters. I do see them at 3mm and 3.5mm in my fracs ie around 0.5mm exit pupil. That's one of the reasons I want to use a Binoviewer more, just haven't really had the opportunity to play around with it yet.

Stu

I would not expect it to be any different between a barlowed/powermated or just straight ep, if the exit pupil is small enough you risk seeing floaters. I do see them at 3mm and 3.5mm in my fracs ie around 0.5mm exit pupil. That's one of the reasons I want to use a Binoviewer more, just haven't really had the opportunity to play around with it yet.

Stu

Yep, thats what I reckon.

Bleed on my eyepieces , I would sooner die.

Not my night, I use the wood burner to heat water as well as the house, not that it needs doing today with a high of 29.4. I did this chopping wood then went back to check the stove and the dam thing back fired and blew smoke all over me.

So back to floaters I will try the 7mm Nagler and PM to-night to see if I can see them, if not I will try the 5.5mm UWA.

Stargazer00,

That is what I call real resistance from buying Televues, 6 days. the only way to deal with temptation is to yield to it.

Hope you get one,

Alan.

Hope the eye heals soon! I think next time you should use eye protection, you don't want to be out of action on a really clear night, or worse, risk going temporarily blind, or even worse....

Alan, I thought the same thing about Stargazer00 / Graham :p.

I've yielded to TVs in my mind (), not in my wallet yet though.

Stargazer00,

That is what I call real resistance from buying Televues, 6 days. the only way to deal with temptation is to yield to it.

Hope you get one,

Alan.

im not replacing the ESs! I will hold off my main eyepiece upgrades until after main scope.. my current plan projects that scope to be here in july/august at which point i'll slowly (yeah right) start buying more eyepieces if I feel I need to :D just augmenting the lower end of my box with a zoom to cover a part of the range that ES dont make. that's allowed surely :rolleyes:

i honestly dont have any good reason to replace the ES eyepieces. They are literally open box fresh still, i'd be a fool to not give them a run for a year first really.

it wouldn't be the first time i made a fool of myself though... I just like buying things. shoot me for it! :)

It is very true a slippery slope. The way I look at it is once you have them there is not many places to go, though I am trying with BGO's.

There may well be some slightly better eyepieces on the market than Televue but they are either so rare or very difficult to get hold of. For me by the time I have got to where I am the scope is the weakest link in most cases so there is no real point hunting many of these down, though I would not mind either a 5mm XO or a Zeiss ortho and that would only be for the APM, which for me is the only one with good enough optics.

BTW I did have saftey glasses on it hit the only bit not covered, good shot or what !!

Alan

The thing with TV that I like aot is they are tested at F4 and I'll always have fast scopes. My upgrade will be F4.5 for instance.

i really will reduce my purchases to one a month at that point... god forbid i run out of things to buy

Alan, I thought the same thing about Stargazer00 / Graham :p.

the reaosn why i think to get the zoom first (but only second hand) is that I can try it while I save for the scope upgrade and if i dont like it I can always elease the money I put into it and get the scope a little faster. and if not, ill keep it.

Secondhand is the way to go, but you have to really keep your eyes open, I will help and PM you the instant I see one. As you say if you don't like it and the same will applt to me when I get mine next week, we haven't lost out too much.

Alan.

A lovely night until the Moon showed up. Tried but couldn't observe without pain, so gave up. I did try the floater test with the 7mm Nagler and the Powermate so at 3.5mm so to speak on the M/N 190mm which is 1000mm F/L and I couldn't see a problem though I was stuggling for other reason so maybe not a fair test. Saturn was rather wobbley in the heat rising from the ground.

Alan.

Archived