Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BGO 7mm & 9mm available

Just in London on a conference. walked into widescreen centre to have a look at some scopes Wick toy rarely get an opportunity to do.

On the off chance I asked if they had any bgo left and sure enough they had 3. I bought the 6mm and they still have a 7 and a 9 left for 65 quid of any interest.

I told the very helpful guy whose name I didn't catch that they would probably sell one I made this post.

hope someone can take advantage of this heads up. Over the moon that the souvenir I promised myself for my first visit to an astro shop was such a gem of a find! :)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was half tempted to buy all 3 but I didnt plan on spending £195 on eyepieces when I woke up this morning so I just got the 6mm as a memento. I was considering buying a 6mm BCO as a punt on orthos anyway so I couldnt really turn this down. Quite lucky I would say.

The guy did say they were on his website and I told him I didnt think they were because they would've sold. I said I'd make a post here and they'd be gone by the end of the day. I wondered if he thought I was serious, Im sure they think that now.

Home now. Here's a photo of my memento. I would;ve walked out with their Stellavue RCT in the window given half a choice but I'm content with this :)

post-19910-0-01331400-1366385309_thumb.j

post-19910-0-13535800-1366385323_thumb.j

Just popped it in my 150P and pointed at a local aerial to get a feel for eye relief and field of view. I must say I was expecting 40 degree to look narrower and expecting the eye relief to be tighter. Think it'll be just fine in practice :)

On a completely unrelated note the sales guy I was talking to told me that Synta have a 18" and 20" dobsonian in the pipeline coming to market in the (near?) future to extend their Skyliner range.

Anyone know anything about this?

Home now. Here's a photo of my memento. I would;ve walked out with their Stellavue RCT in the window given half a choice but I'm content with this :)

post-19910-0-01331400-1366385309_thumb.j

post-19910-0-13535800-1366385323_thumb.j

Just popped it in my 150P and pointed at a local aerial to get a feel for eye relief and field of view. I must say I was expecting 40 degree to look narrower and expecting the eye relief to be tighter. Think it'll be just fine in practice :)

That could yet turn into a potential expensive trip, when the inevitable comparison begins... lovely little lens.

andrew

I also had a look at TeleVue products as I never saw them before. Ethos (100 degrees look looooovely), Delos (absolutely huge eye portal) and the Nagler 3-6mm zoom (almost bought this...!)

All very very nice. Maybe one day. I actually loved the look of the Delos. So comfortable, I could happly move from 82 to 72 degrees for that comfort.

This wasn't exactly a spur of the moment purchase. With the arrival of the frac and the good news surrounding the BCOs, I fancied the idea of trying some narrower FOV, highly corrected EPs for planetary and globular targets. I started off thinking about second hand TV Plossls, but the link John(?) posted to the CN review of Orthos v Eveything Else, sort of put me off those and back onto Orthos.

I just happened to click on the EP Forum as I sat down for lunch and opened this thread during the minute after it was posted. Knowing that a 'heads up' normally isn't good news for ditherers, I didn't take the time to decide which one I wanted, picked up the phone and bought both. I figured that given the absurd second hand prices these go for, if I don't like them, I can pass them on for little or no loss, so it was worth a punt.

Alan, if I don't like them, you can have first refusal. That's a promise. :)

Russell

I'm really pleased that it was a good day out. I was in London purely by chance today and took advantage of a walk across the city centre to go to visit the shop. When in there I ws actually going to buy a RACI but just thought "I wonde rif they have any BGO?" I had no intention of asking until I was in the shop. When he said he had 3 i was shocked. Immediatly took the 6mm and had to talk myself out of the 7mm and 9mm. I really hoped someone else on here could benefit from the find and I'm glad that someone did. :)

Russell ,

I don't know the best way to put and I was reading down the thread and I saw your statement , I thought, lier, he's bought them, you can tell and further down it was confirmed. I would not wish bad of you but I will buy the 7mm from you if you don't get on with it. That is of cousre making a very large assumption that I like them. I will not get to try them until I get back here on 18th May, unless, unless I buy a scope in England as well, now there is an idea.

On the return I can hear," that will be four hundred and sixty pounds excess baggage Mr. Potts "

A very kind thought from you to Graham, thanks, it is about 15 years since I was in London.

Alan

Nice purchases Graham and Russell :smiley:

I have the BGO 5mm and 6mm and a TV plossl 8mm as my "low glass" set. Very nice eyepieces :smiley:

I'll be getting some of the Hutech / Kasai orthos in the next few days so expect a "shoot out" report including the Baader Classic's in due course :grin:

After I sold my BGO's, I told myself I'd never buy another ortho! I have to say the temptation to reacquire a few is becoming increasingly unbearable :rolleyes:

I've been through that loop twice now Damo :rolleyes2:

Damo,

Never say never! Stick around long enough and you know we will talk you into it.

On a different note I think Stargazer00 has been bitten by the televue bug and is smitten, looking at them in the shop, writing about them back int the thread, you know what comes next. Yes empty pockets!

Alan

I know this isn't the same thing but I've got a 25mm, 18mm and 5mm BST I really don't need anymore but I just can't find it in me to sell them yet. For some reason they have a quality I just can't help but value, even against the ESs.

Damo,

Never say never! Stick around long enough and you know we will talk you into it.

On a different note I think Stargazer00 has been bitten by the televue bug and is smitten, looking at them in the shop, writing about them back int the thread, you know what comes next. Yes empty pockets!

Alan

In truth I've been thinking about Delos for a while now. I know I said this alot possibly, but I eally value comfort alot and these read up as very comfortable eyepieces. It's a shame they felt it in the shop too :(

I'm going to give the ESs a good long run, perhaps a year. And then start to swap them out for TVs. Ideally I want to upgrade the main scope to a 14" first and then it's eyepieces again.

Archived