Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark sky Reccy...

estwing

havin' a free day on sunday i'm about to embark on finding a couple of decent spots for me and a few others to observe in the peaks.Having studied a map a location has been found..here's the tricky bit! its on a public footpath with a access road running down the side of it,now i suppose the road belongs to a farmer to gain entrance to fields further down the lane. Now how do i approach this without offending/upsetting said farmer..please keep the daft comments to yourself ..the chance to have a safe private little location in good skies don't throw themselves at you,so i don't want to muck this up.

I expect he'll be OK about it. Most farmers worry about crops being trampled, livestock being harassed by dogs and gates being left open etc. If you can reassure him that you will respect the country code there is every chance he'll be reasonable. I would suggest that you call to see him in person so that he can meet you as opposed to a phone call. Good luck. Phil

i know honesty pays..there is also one of those water things further down the road you know like a unfinished pyramid! but the chance seven trent letting people view from off there is remote at best!

havin' a free day on sunday i'm about to embark on finding a couple of decent spots for me and a few others to observe in the peaks.Having studied a map a location has been found..here's the tricky bit! its on a public footpath with a access road running down the side of it,now i suppose the road belongs to a farmer to gain entrance to fields further down the lane. Now how do i approach this without offending/upsetting said farmer..please keep the daft comments to yourself ..the chance to have a safe private little location in good skies don't throw themselves at you,so i don't want to muck this up.

Hmmm, public footpath = public. Public means people turn up and at the strangest of times, often with blinding torches and dogs off the lead. Never take your solitude for granted, even at night in remote places sometimes. Runners, orienteering, walkers out late or early. I have encountered them all mate! I'd suggest a reccy or dummy run first.

From my experience most farmers are very pleasant and generous people considering the harsh conditions they have encountered over the past couple of years. The ones I have asked have let me have access all over their land (for hiking too!) - Just let them have your car registration so that they know it's you if they see a car parked up near their land at night.

They will only probably warn you that their cows might get interested in your car and break the wing mirrors!

It is important that you don't bring a dog with you as the local farmers around me get very upset about some irresponsible owners letting their dogs nip the sheep. :(

First thing I'd suggest is go in daylight. Introduce yourself, show the guy (or whoever answers the door) your equipment :Envy: as a way of proving you're bona-fide. Maybe give them your mobile phone number, in case they're concerned in the future whether someone lurking around is you, or not. If he/she says yes, then a small token of appreciation after your observing session left on the doorstep with a note would be considerate - just don't ring the bell at 3 a.m. to say "cheerio".

If they say "no", then don't try to argue the toss, or get all legal and confrontational. Just accept it and leave.

First thing I'd suggest is go in daylight. Introduce yourself, show the guy (or whoever answers the door) your equipment :Envy: as a way of proving you're bona-fide. Maybe give them your mobile phone number, in case they're concerned in the future whether someone lurking around is you, or not. If he/she says yes, then a small token of appreciation after your observing session left on the doorstep with a note would be considerate - just don't ring the bell at 3 a.m. to say "cheerio".

If they say "no", then don't try to argue the toss, or get all legal and confrontational. Just accept it and leave.

I used to go Caving in Derbyshire and would park on farmers land in order to get to the cave we used to pay a small fee to the farmer for the privalage perhaps you could come to some arrangement if the spot is suitable

Result..farm has mini campsite where a chap from Derby used to come often..or little patch of waste ground,lovely old couple willing to help me out..but there's a catch..bottle of white wine per visit!!..yes!

Archived