Hello from Bristol

ElTanko

Hello one and all,

quick intro:

My names Mark, from Bristol U.K, relative newbie to astronomy, little over a year. I have some 15x70 Celestron bins, sadly not enough room for a telescope (yet) though that is the dream. Started off randomly scanning around, but now take a more serious approach, learning the constellations (so far about half of then viewable in northern hemisphere).

recently started subscription with a few magazines to learn more, which have been very helpful.

one question: can anyone tell me of a book that shows/describes what I can see in each constellation. The sky at night magazine has just started a section for bins for just this, but I crave more!! Help appreciated.

Mark

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome on board Mark, you can get a good start / understanding of the sky with bins - take your time, and when you get your scope (if you do - some people prefer just to use binoculars), you will be better prepared. Good luck and all the best

Phil

Hello Mark

Turn Left at Orion is very useful. For what you can see in each area of sky I really like Skywatch by Terence Dickinson. As well as lots of useful info it has single page charts with objects marked with some indication of how hard/ easy they are

Kerry

Hello and welcome Mark. I realy love my binoculars as they really allow you to appreciate the sky and find objects. I always have them with me even when I'm using my telescope. They help you to plan star hops, which can be otherwise tricky with the constraints of the finder scope. +1 for Turn Left at Orion. A super book which gives you some idea of what you should expect to see.

Dave

Hi Mark another one here from the Bristol area - I think we are becoming a nuisance! :grin: :grin: +1 for Binocular sky and there is a useful updated list of targets to find which helps you make a start. Some great suggestions regarding the books and to help you further understanding the layout of the night sky, you might want to consider downloading Stellarium which is free and easy to use. It can be calibrated to your viewing location and has an advanced date/time feature which allows you to project the night sky forward to enable you to see what's coming up and when - great for planning your session.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James.

Archived