NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Advanced VX Mount

gary1968

I have asked Celestron, who forwarded my question to D. Hinds and I cant seem to get an answer at all!!

Does anyone know when the AVX will be released in the UK and how much it will cost........ I am about to pull the trigger on a new EQ mount and I really like the look of this, or a HEQ5.......

Any advice appriciated.

Gaz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG, its a bit more than I expected...... I expected it to be cheaper than the HEQ5 Pro.

Do I take a chance on a untested / unreviewed mount or go for a HEQ5. The mount will be used for my return to imaging, I know the HEQ5 works, the AVX is an 'unknown'...

Decisions, decisions........... :confused:

Gaz

I am about to pull the trigger on a new EQ mount and I really like the look of this, or a HEQ5.......

It is a very nice mount! Accurate GoTos, good tracking, substantial tripod yet it is still quite portable.

The HEQ5 is also a great mount - decisions, decisions, decisions ......

It is a very nice mount! Accurate GoTos, good tracking, substantial tripod yet it is still quite portable.

The HEQ5 is also a great mount - decisions, decisions, decisions ......

Yeah, I know the HEQ5 is great, I have owned one, most of my imaging mates either own one or have owned one..... they just work straight out of the box, goto / tracking is great, guiding is a breeze. I tried to image with a CG5GT years ago and gave up trying to get the thing to guide smoothly, I would hate to buy the AVX and it have the same problem.

And, the HEQ5 is cheaper!! Although my heart says go for the AVX (I have a soft spot for Celestron kit), my head says go for the HEQ5........

Gaz

I'm still going for the HEQ5, its a tried and tested mount and it's cheaper.

The Advanced VX looks mostly made up of black plastic by the looks of it?

Not wanting to sound like a "plastic snob" or anything :grin: but the HEQ5 is a big metal lump, so would be rock solid for my 150P

No, it's all metal where it matters.

It seems pretty solid to me, with nice controls for use and set up. What I particularly like is that guiding just works with no issues.

The HEQ5 Pro would be a non-starter for me because I can't see Polaris from where I set up so need ASPA.

Chris

Well, I thought the AVX is too much of a risk being such a new unreviewed mount. So I have just pulled the trigger and placed an order with FLO for a HEQ5 Pro, I know and trust the HEQ5. So, I guess thats a few weeks of Rubbish weather coming my way, lol.

Gaz

Well, I thought the AVX is too much of a risk being such a new unreviewed mount. So I have just pulled the trigger and placed an order with FLO for a HEQ5 Pro, I know and trust the HEQ5. So, I guess thats a few weeks of Rubbish weather coming my way, lol.

Gaz

I think you made the right choice :)

I was looking at one today, looks like a step up from the cg5gt in terms of build quality, still needs a cable from the main body to the dec motors though. Also had a drool over an APM apo as well, very nice.

just bought a cg5gt goto today, so far chuffed with it, not as noisey as I thought it would be and rock solid, and very happy with what I paid for it.

'Ve received the avx mount. At first view it looks a more robust build from cg5. The alt-az adjustment screws are much better, the dovetail holder seems better and the power cable now screws in, the car adapter side also fits better in the power tank. It doesn't feel loose like on the cg 5. Can't wait to try it out! Now for clear skies!!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone with a celestron VX mount know what is on the CD disc that is with the manual when you buy one of these VX mounts? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have had one of the Celestron VX Advanced mounts for 2 weeks now and due to 12 days of solid cloud cover I only got to try it last night.

I think the handset or the internal electronics may have a fault.

The handset will not keep or remember the Time & Date I enter into the celestron Handset,even when the mount is powered by my celestron portable 12v battery pack which is fully charged & working ok the VX mounts handset does not keep the Time & Date.I have switched off the mount for 30 minutes & when I switch it back on the Time & Date I switched the mount off is supposed to show in the handset (Do I have this part correct?)but no it shows a Time of 01hr 00min 00sec & 01/03/00 Date, which was the Time & Date the mount has shown since I took the mount out of it's box when I first got the mount.

I try a Quick align and set the location to a nearby city from the list in the Handset I then put in the correct current time & date and the Handset says align ok.

So I then go back to the handset menu to view the Time & Site info and it is never the time or date I have only just set it always reverts to a time of 01hr 00min 00sec & a US date format of 01/03/00.

The date last night when I got my first chance to try the VX mounts 2 star align was May 26th 2013, so in the handset I put the US date format 05/26/13 and the time which was 12.50AM. So far so good I think, So I tried the 2 star align and the mount slewed nearly 180 degrees from where the 2 align stars were. So I went into the handset menu to view the Time & Site and guess what yes the time & date I set was not remembered it had reverted to the 01/03/00 date and 01hr 00min 00sec time.

I DO have the Real Time Clock in utilities set to ON.

I have tried turning the real time clock "RTC" in the handset to OFF then back to ON in case the handset was being funny but no luck.

I have reset the handset back to Factory Defaults but this does not help keep the Time & Date I set for my location.

I am beginning to think I got a duff VX mount.

Ideas from more experienced users than me would be helpful please?

I ain't got one if the vx mounts but had a cg5gt. Anyway, it will not remember time and date while powered down. It should remember during and after alignment. As for slewing 180 degrees out, does it having a setting for eq north or eq south? And if so is it set right? Have you put your coordinates in right?

I'm sure it's a setting Probs, we just gotta figure out which one.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk 2

I ain't got one if the vx mounts but had a cg5gt. Anyway, it will not remember time and date while powered down. It should remember during and after alignment. As for slewing 180 degrees out, does it having a setting for eq north or eq south? And if so is it set right? Have you put your coordinates in right?

I'm sure it's a setting Probs, we just gotta figure out which one.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Hi thanks for reply, yes the VX is set at EQ North my Longitude & Latitude are input into the Handset correctly I looked up my location here in the UK on a google find my latitude & logitude map webpage.I know I have those correctly put in the VX Handset unit.

OK so if these new celestron VX mounts handset routines are similar to the CG5GT they don't keep counting time when powered down, I did read that the VX handset keeps the time you powered down the mount in the handsets RTC "Real Time Clock"?

The VX I have does not keep the powered down time and show it next time you power the VX mount up, my VX just reverts to RTC Time Local=01:00:00 and it reverts to DATE RTC Time=03/01/00 I just checked the handset again and did an indooor ONE STAR ALIGN

but after inputting the TIME & DATE before the ONE STAR ALIGN and then doing the one star align I goto the handset menu I goto View Time & Site and the time & date I just entered has gone reverted back to a Time of 01:00:00 and a Date of 03/01/00.

it is really confusing me badly.

Thaks for the help.

Archived