Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light of Celestron 8SE

Albenn

After having used my Heritage 130p for just under a year I realised that it was time for an upgrade. Don’t get me wrong, the Heritage is a great little scope but I was finding that the helical focuser and the constant nudging to keep objects in the eyepiece was becoming a little tiresome. I had also realised where my observing interests lay due to the fact that, apart from a few of them, most DSO’s were small, faint fuzzy things that did not hold my interest much and I found the solar system objects far more visually fascinating and rewarding. After considering all the available options that were compatible with my viewing preferences and lifestyle, I decided to go for the SE8 after consultation with dealers and fellow observers.

The scope is an 8” SCT with a focal length of 2032mm (F10) which should mean that it is more forgiving of eyepieces than my F5 Heritage and by all accounts should give me decent views of planetary objects and also the brighter DSO’s.

The scope was delivered next day from FLO, I unpacked all the boxes, got the usual ‘Yes Dear….very nice’ comments from the wife, made sure all was undamaged and put it all away again because the weather was being its usual cruel self. I have to say that the packaging that the scope came in was excellent and have retained the moulded Styrofoam OTA packing for future use when transporting to sitesother than my garden.

Anyway, last night after a week of poor weather, I came home from work and realised that the skies were beginning to clear and I was at last going get a chance to try out my new toy.

The initial set up was done straight from the boxes and I reckon it took me half an hour from opening the boxes to being ready to go. The OTA is a doddle to attach and is light enough to hold up from underneath with one hand. It also helps that the goto mount can be rotated manually in Alt (up & down) without the power being on but note that it cannot be rotated in Azimuth (left/right) without using the handset. The trickiest part was aligning the RDF as I can’t see many distant terrestrial objects over the garden fence but managed to roughly align the RDF using the top of a chimney pot. A bit rough and ready but it would have to do. I then went inside for a cuppa and waited for darkness and the scope to cool.

After an hour I went outside and noticed that although the sky was clear, the seeing wasn't great so I put in the star diagonal, 25mm eyepiece and switched on the goto. The handset told me it was self-checking and after a couple of seconds asked me if I wanted to align. After reading the manual through the week, I decided to solar system align which would allow me to at least have a fighting chance of seeing something with the minimum of effort. I was asked for the time, date and nearest city. After entering the relevant data (more on this later) I was then asked to choose an object and chose Jupiter. I was then asked to find it in the RDF which is where I had a little difficulty as my rough and ready RDF alignment was about a degree out but I managed to locate Jupiter and finally align the RDF properly.

I was then prompted to centre the planet in the eyepiece and the goto motors went into fine tune mode. After informing me the alignment had been successful, the first thing I noticed was that Jupiter stayed in the centre of the eyepiece. The second was that, even at only x80 magnification, there was far more detail than I had seen with my Heritage at higher magnification with Jupiter’s moons and the surrounding stars being pin sharp with no coma. Jupiter itself was showing a lot of detail with the 2 main EQ bands being very clear and the others visible. Focussing was very easy and although the image shook a little when turning the focussing knob, this settled in a couple of seconds and was by no means a problem. In fact, the focuser allows for fine adjustment in order to get the image as sharp as possible.

After about 2 minutes, I noticed that the planet had begun to drift from centre. Earlier on I mentioned that I had to enter time, date, city etc. The date was spot on but the time was probably a minute or so off and the nearest city on the handset was set to Manchester, which with hindsight given my geographical location, would probably have been better being set for Newcastle. Even better would have been to use the option to enter my Longitude and Latitude. I assume these inaccuracies would account for the slight drifting. After saying that though, the slight drift was easily corrected with the motor direction controls on the handset so didn’t spoil the viewing at all.

I then thought I’d try a little higher magnification but wasn't hopeful as the stars were twinkling like mad. I tried my 18mm (x110) but this just accentuated the poor seeing so I went back to the 25mm. I then noticed the clouds starting to appear.

I tried using the goto to locate another object, but due to my lacklustre data entry and the poor seeing, I wasn't very successful so decided to go back to Jupiter. I asked the goto to find Jupiter again and it slewed back, stopped and there it was in the eyepiece. Not dead bang centred but close enough. I then thought I’d try re-alignment using 2 stars but had only managed to align Betelgeuse when the clouds rolled in and ended the nights viewing.

I had heard that the 8SE goto mount/tripod was not very stable but I found it to be good. The tripod itself has very sturdy steel tubular legs with the accessory tray/leg brace being made from thickish metal which helps with stability.

Like all new things, the goto will take a little time to get used to and get the best from. Of course, you don’t have to use the goto and can just use the motor direction controls on the handset and the RDF to locate an object. Although I use a powertank, I had been advised to install batteries as these would ensure data was retained should the powertank fail or if the power lead should detach from the mount.

The 8SE optics really are superb and for visual use the set up is excellent. The goto motors are barely audible whilst tracking and are not at all noisy even at full speed as others have found. A lot of people will dismiss goto, but this set up fits my needs of being portable, easy to set up and store but more importantly, gives very clear, detailed views even at low magnification. I can see this scope serving me well for many years.

Just hope the clouds disperse so I can get out again tonight!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same OTA on a CG5 mount. I still have the original OTA box as I haven't a clue what else to put it in that would be as suitable.

One thing I would suggest is a dew shieid as they dew up very quickly.

I bought a 6SE at Christmas and have been experimenting with getting good alignment.

I use google earth to give me an accurate position of my garden and load that. I also use a bulls eye type spirit level on the tripod without the OTA sitting on it. I have found that once the OTA is on top if you use a spirit level you get a slight difference (at least on mine).

A bull's eye will get you well within 1 Deg of vertical. I used to use them to set up primary pressure standards (dead weights) where verticalit axis accuracy is essential.

I also use a reticule to do the initial alignment.

http://www.nexstarsite.com/

This site also has some good suggestions.

I can now get more or less drift free alignment, not enough for more than 30 sec exposures but good for viewing without too much tweaking.

UPDATE:

Got to use scope last night at a local viewpoint, which while not a true dark site, has little light pollution as it overlooks a valley plane. The sky was so beautifully clear and the seeing was very good.

Since the first report I had been playing with the goto and have found the auto 2 star alignment to be the most consistent resulting in the objects being in the eyepiece each time. I use Betegeuse and Polaris which seem to work for me.

The views in this scope at a dark site are incredible through my BST ep's. I really can't get over the light grab of this scope. The Orion Nebula was incredibly detailed in the 25mm with the Trapezium and the cloud formation clearly visible and the whole image being very 'in your face' for want of a better expression! I know that's probably not a very good astronomical term but it actually did jump out at you!

Then it was time for the 18mm ep and on to Jupiter clearly showing detail in the cloud bands I had not seen before. I didn't even think of using a higher magnification as the views were so detailed.

I then tried to find comet Panstarrs which I knew was near the Andromeda Galaxy. The scope found the galaxy but I struggled a little with small FOV and couldn't get the comet into view. However, help was at hand and thanks to Stuart (fellow member and Secretary of the Eddington AS) who soon had it in sight. The tail on the comet was incredible and soon there was a queue at the ep to see it.

It was time to go home but Saturn had just become visible over the horizon. Unfortunately it was so low that the air turbulence just made the image wobble too much. Still, there'll be other nights for Saturn.

I was beginning to doubt I had made the right choice of scope due to the goto but last night proved me wrong. The 8SE is a wonderful instrument and I am so glad I bought it. The BST ED eyepieces work very well and once you get the hang of the goto it works every time.

Nice review Alan - glad you're enjoying your SCT

The C8 is a great scope for all the planets & moon and a good deal of DSO's as well - it's a great "all rounder".

I would definetly consider a Dew Heater tape in combination with a dew shield as the C8 is a real "Dew Magnet" and I've had many a session cut short before I invested in mine

Thanks Alan for a detail review of your scope and for a realistic commentary on your experience with using it out of the box - so useful for those who are thinking of getting the same setup.

Congratulations and look forward to reading about your next observations!

James

Hi Baggywrinkle

LOL! My justification was that as I didn't smoke or drink, then I deserved something from all the money we'd saved. Or, you could argue that it would cost more in the long run to achieve what you want from what you have.

Seriously, the 8SE is a great piece of kit and BTW my wife didn't object at all.

Another thing I'd read about when researching the scope was that it was 'Hyperstar' compatible but didn't look into what that actually meant until I had the scope and thought about maybe sticking a DSLR on the back of it. The 'Hyperstar' is a mirror that replaces the one in the middle of the corrector plate and turns the scope from a slow F10 to a fast F2.

I am only interested in visual and maybe the odd prime focus shot at the moment but it's nice to know that the scope can be converted if I ever wanted to venture into the strange and mysterious dark art that is Astrophotography (AP). From what I have heard and read about AP up to now, I think it would be easier to take up Alchemy and have more success with that. It would also be a damn sight cheaper too as I would only have to buy a wizard outfit and a cauldron :D

Another thing I'd read about when researching the scope was that it was 'Hyperstar' compatible but didn't look into what that actually meant until I had the scope and thought about maybe sticking a DSLR on the back of it. The 'Hyperstar' is a mirror that replaces the one in the middle of the corrector plate and turns the scope from a slow F10 to a fast F2.

This is not quite correct. With the Fastar/Hyperstar sytem the secondary mirror is replaced by an expensive lens and the camera connects directly onto this. So the camera is on the front of the SCT, not on the back.

Cheers,

Chris

This is not quite correct. With the Fastar/Hyperstar sytem the secondary mirror is replaced by an expensive lens and the camera connects directly onto this. So the camera is on the front of the SCT, not on the back.

Chris

Well spotted. I was kind of in a hurry before. That'll teach me to proof read before I post!

I thought about buying a Porsche earlier this morning, but having decided I'm not going to, I've saved nearly £70k. Might have to treat myself!

I've had a 6SE before and loved it. How does the mount hold up with an 8SE?

Why don't you not buy a Porsche and a Ferrari and buy your own observatory :D

I find the mount perfectly adequate for visual. Focussing makes the ep view judder slightly but this settles in a couple of seconds. The focuser allows for a very fine adjustment and doesn't seem to 'skip' as others have mentioned. Can't comment re suitability of mount for AP as I have not use it in that capacity. HTH

Hi.I had one nexstar 8se before the upgrade to the HEQ5 pro and even if the equal mount is a better one,its heavy...I found the nexstar mount accurate,light and very easy to setup and managed the C8 very well :p

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There, On a whim almost I picked up a Nexstar 6SE from EBay which whetted my appetite. I am just moving on to a 9.25 on an EQ6 but will be keeping the Nexstar for the quickies at the dark site when time may be at a premium. Great enthusiasm generating review.

Hi There, On a whim almost I picked up a Nexstar 6SE from EBay which whetted my appetite. I am just moving on to a 9.25 on an EQ6 but will be keeping the Nexstar for the quickies at the dark site when time may be at a premium. Great enthusiasm generating review.

Hi

Thanks for kind comments.

The portability and quick set up time over the more rigid EQ5/6 mount is what made me choose it. I can be up and observing whilst fellow astronomers are still polar aligning.

Now, if I decide to do more than stick my DSLR on the back to get a few moon shots (here) then I will need to get a more capable mount, but until then, the Nexstar mount is all I need.

Hi there,

I have had my 6SE since Oct 2012 and have never looked back :laugh:

I normally use the 3 star align but after my success last night I will use the auto 2 star and manually enter the RA\Dec, as detailed in Stellarium, to find objects. (I set the co-ordinates in for Panstarrs and it put it bang in the center of the eyepiece) :smiley:

I am absolutely amazed by how accurate it is compared to using the named objects etc.

Shaun

I normally use the 3 star align but after my success last night I will use the auto 2 star and manually enter the RA\Dec, as detailed in Stellarium, to find objects. (I set the co-ordinates in for Panstarrs and it put it bang in the center of the eyepiece) smiley.gif

I am absolutely amazed by how accurate it is compared to using the named objects etc.

Hi Shaun

I usually use the 'Named Objects' also but I must try the direct entry you outlined. Thanks for info.

Archived