Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Desperate times

Stargazer_00

You know things are bad when you see this symbol on tomorrows forecast, in between dark clouds all day either side, next to this description and wonder if you'll get a few minutes in the garden possibly looking at the moon if you are lucky.

Desperate times indeed...

post-19910-0-41690400-1363965148_thumb.j

Have had that same thought a few times myself! You never know, we may have an absolutely fantastic April/May with clear skies every night - that is desparation talking I think :smiley:

I suppose it is the half empty/half full thing, think of it as hope not desparation.

Ordinarily though I'd look at that and think, no thanks I'll wait till at least a moon symbol. Over the last few weeks my response time to a gap in the clouds is approaching something akin to a Formula 1 pit crew. I can be dressed, out in the garden, shed open, stool out, scope out, eyepiece selected, pointed aimed and focused in less than 7 mintues now from spotting a break in the cloud.

Good thing about being an 'imager' as opposed to an 'observer'- have still have data to look at and process from when it was last clear in February! Still plenty to do even when it's cloudy- won't keep me going for much longer though.

Pretty sure this week last year was like a mini summer. Could do with that right now.

It was. In fact it seems like the weather has not been better than this week last year ever since :(

James

I'm still hopeful of a good year. Despite last year being disappointing weather wise, no surprise there, I still got to see many firsts.

Last year I saw amazing Perseid meteors, Lyrids & the September fireball.

I also saw Mercury, Neptune & Uranus for he first time as well as Saturn's Cassini division and the GRS on Jupiter.

Here's to 2014 & many more astro firsts.

Yes, last March was awesome. Out in the garden in a t-shirt most of the night for 5 nights on the trot and my first (rubbish!) images of M51 and M101 as a result.

If I'd known then how "far" I would have progressed my imaging a year on I think I would have cried the whole week.

It's just been dire. I've put the hobby on the back burner and have stopped checking the forecasts every day. Not getting a single opportunity to look for PanStarrs yet has been the kicker. It really saddens me to admit it, but the weather's beaten me into submission.

I won't sell the kit yet, but another year like the last? Who knows.

Archived