Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Making a dew shield, what do I need?

emadmoussa

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cheap go outdoors camping matt..taped together...flocked mine...can be a little shiny.

Exactly how I made mine, cant go wrong for a few quid, someone even gave the mats a positive review for astronomy use on the go-outdoors website :grin:

P.S. how about a yoga matt and velcro...?

I like the velcro idea, I may go back and make another with velcro fastening with the leftover foam.

Well, if you can cut down on expenses, then why not? I think I am going with the camping matt with the velcro fastener idea...cheap and easy. Unfortunately, this hobby like we all agree does often cost a few pennies. Not to mention, every day there is a new thing you desire to buy... :)

If you decide to go with velcro stick on, make sure that you get the true velcro brand - such as 'Heavy Duty Stick On' (the brand name is printed on the back of the strips) and not an imitation type. I purchased mine from Amazon which is cheaper than say B&Q.

When I made mine, I initially purchased what I thought was velcro with extra strong adhesive (Ebay so what do you expect), but one strip, in use, did not adhere very well to the foam and came off. I do not know if stitching onto foam is a workable solution. I allowed a 2" overlap on the fold. Whilst I did not flock mine, it is charcoal in colour so quite dark.

I also cut a shape around the focuser and telrad plate which I then re-enforced with gaffa tape.

Nope not kidding at all :grin: , I was quite amused when I read it, any camper's reading the reviews must be wondering what the heck is he going on about telescopes for and what a dew band is!

Well, campers and amateur astronomers share the luxury of freezing their heads off trying to enjoy their hobby. So basically campers should understand and even contribute the field of astronomy :)

The camping mat material is ideal, and also insulates to a dgree and usualy avoids condensation on the inner surface, black is best. This can be glued along the join, and then taped for extra strength. I have used this material on many scopes, the best length is about 1 1/2 times the tube diameter. John.

You can use cardboard to make a dew shield. Cut to size, you can use cardboard from a strong box, corrugated type is best. Glue along the overlap and to maintain rigidity and shape glue strips of cardboard to the outside edges of the tube ends, Flock the inside and paint the outside of the tube with oil based paint to waterproof, especially at the material edges . Ensure shield is of adequate length, 2xtube dia minimum. I've got cardboard dew shields that have lasted for decades.HTH

You can use cardboard to make a dew shield. Cut to size, you can use cardboard from a strong box, corrugated type is best. Glue along the overlap and to maintain rigidity and shape glue strips of cardboard to the outside edges of the tube ends, Flock the inside and paint the outside of the tube with oil based paint to waterproof, especially at the material edges . Ensure shield is of adequate length, 2xtube dia minimum. I've got cardboard dew shields that have lasted for decades.HTH

It seems that creativity is flowing from all over the place today :) It's worth a try.

Guys, we need some photos of your camping-mat-dew-shields... :)

Here's the new one I just knocked up using my leftover mat and some velcro, not darkened the interior yet, actually never found I had to with my Mk1 version. Adjustable from 130-210 mm :grin:

post-24331-0-40845100-1363011673_thumb.j

Here's the new one I just knocked up using my leftover mat and some velcro, not darkened the interior yet, actually never found I had to with my Mk1 version. Adjustable from 130-210 mm :grin:

Exactly what I had in mind...very nice!

I found this to when looking specifically for a black foam mat, that they tend to be quite costly in comparison. I also went for one that is 8mm thickness, probably little in it, but will be a bit lighter than 10mm mats.

I've just noticed that the black foam mats are the most expensive...mmm!

The dark one on go-outdoors is dark brown and not black if I remember correctly, its also slightly larger and thicker, only thicker by 1 or 2 mm but could make a difference in weight if weight on your mount is at a premium.

Archived